Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We’re looking for a Director of Engineering, reporting to the Senior Director of Engineering, to lead a group of software and systems engineers in our Operations-focused team. We design infrastructure and tooling, and provision, configure, and monitor the services in colo and cloud environments. The larger Operations team includes compute (colo, cloud, containers), storage, data store, operational tooling/software, email delivery, security, abuse prevention, and core product software development; you will oversee the success of a subset of these responsibilities.
We are excited by someone with an understanding of why and how diverse teams build better software/systems and create better cultures. You will understand the importance of culture to the team’s productivity and overall benefit this has to Mailchimp as a whole. We’re looking for someone comfortable with having high expectations of us, and comfortable that we will have high expectations of you. You will need to embody our motto of “Listen Hard, Change Fast” and be willing to question our current thinking.
What you’ll do:
- Recruit, onboard and grow team members building on the strategic roadmap.
- Ensure that the department is inclusive in its hiring processes and daily operations.
- Participate in and cultivate a culture of direct, compassionate feedback. Support a results-oriented work style.
- Work with the operations leadership to refine your team’s strategic roadmap, as it supports the greater Engineering Technology roadmap and Mailchimp's strategic roadmap.
- Advocate for your team and its projects to Engineering Senior Leadership, and other leaders throughout the organization.
- Work with Product, Development, Support, IT, and QA teams to build tooling/infrastructure and documentation that helps meets the needs of those departments both today and tomorrow.
- Work with your team to develop plans to improve existing systems.
- Collaborate with operations leadership to ensure the organizational structure is a help, and not a hindrance, to our success.
- Explore creative business and technology practices and determine fit for team and company.
- Help identify and remove obstacles to project execution.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have experience leading large, accomplished operations teams with varied responsibilities and priorities.
- You are committed to growing an engaged, motivated, and healthy culture in an engineering organization.
- Fostering a diverse and inclusive team and environment is one of your many accomplishments.
- You have contagious enthusiasm for motivating and growing managers and individuals.
- You prefer to guide your teams in making decisions, relying on your technical leaders to make sound technical decisions and your managers to make sound personnel decisions. Sometimes they will make mistakes; you prefer to help them learn and grow from them.
- You are comfortable working with and integrating distributed team members.
- You have experience with vendor management and negotiation.
- You have a commitment to increasing efficiency in the workplace by reviewing and adjusting processes, department structure and tools.
- You have experience and enjoy working with and communicating strategic initiatives to varying levels of technical and non-technical peeps (C-level, VP, technical individual contributors, non-technical individual contributors).
- You have successfully managed complex projects and dependencies between teams.
- You have a working knowledge of internet operations and systems engineering.
- You have knowledge of Cloud Computing Infrastructure products (we use Google Cloud, but experience with other vendors is also useful).
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Curious to how hiring has shifted related to COVID-19? Click here to find out more!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.