Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We are seeking an attorney to join the Mailchimp legal team. As a member of the team, you will provide advice to senior management at Mailchimp, manage important internal and external relationships, and have an opportunity to influence legal and business strategies.
Our attorneys work closely with our product, marketing, engineering, communications, customer support, and client relations teams, and are required to assist in a wide range of subject matters. This position requires using a combination of business IQ, technical knowledge, and legal skills, so an aptitude for business is required, and overall business acumen will be further developed on the job.
Our ideal candidate began their career at a law firm, is looking for their first or second in-house counsel position, and has a background in data privacy and data security and familiarity with software or technology transactions. Superior analytical skills and a teamwork-driven attitude are of paramount importance.
What you'll do here:
- Provide advice and support directly to business leads and technical specialists on a range of legal and business issues, including issues related to data privacy, data security, and data governance.
- Work directly with company business leads to draft, review, and negotiate contracts, with specific focus on privacy issues that arise in a wide variety of commercial transactions.
- Support compliance efforts with respect to U.S. and international laws and regulations related to data privacy, data security, and data governance.
- Assist with implementation of Mailchimp’s Data Protection Impact Assessment program, working directly with product teams to facilitate completion of DPIAs.
- Coordinate with outside counsel in domestic and international markets on issues related to data privacy, product features, transactional issues, and other technology initiatives.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with marketing, product, communications and other stakeholders on multi-disciplinary issues.
- Other responsibilities include assisting in transactions and regulatory matters, counseling internal team members on legal and business matters, and drafting commercial agreements.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- Active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- 2-5 years of legal experience at a law firm
- IAPP Privacy Certification such as CIPP or CIPM preferred
- Demonstrably strong technical aptitude and business acumen
- Very strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people, collaborate with diverse business groups, and build interdepartmental relationships at all levels
- Excellent writing and document drafting skills
- Strong strategic thinking and analytical skills and judgment
- Team-oriented attitude and ability to balance multiple tasks and priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Relevant legal knowledge or experience with data privacy law and corporate transactional law
- Demonstrated capacity to keep current on emerging business and legal trends in the legal areas of data privacy and data security
- Technological experience with software, cloud computing, SaaS, or digital technologies (e.g., digital advertising, social media, mobile apps) is preferred
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
We love our hometown and support sustainable urban renewal. Our headquarters is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.