Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We are seeking a Staff engineer to help us build and support Mailchimp products. You can expect to set the team’s technical direction and bring operation focus to projects that directly impact the future of the department and company.
This role will work on Mailchimp’s automated design service, which digests a user's brand DNA, and interprets it into automated designs. Brands, like people, have personalities. This role’s responsibility will be to create design elements that accurately reflect different design personalities, and help "teach" the design engine how to weave those elements together into beautiful designs that look like the user. Also, this role will be responsible for integrating this automated design service into the Mailchimp application at key points, socializing design and architecture decisions for the service with engineering leadership, and evangelizing the service through the engineering and product organization to drive adoption.
The ideal candidate has 10 or more years of experience building and operating large web applications, plus familiarity with current technology trends and patterns. They should also be a skilled communicator and collaborator comfortable working across multiple teams and departments.
What You’ll Do:
- Establish patterns that help with consistency and engineer effectiveness
- Architect and implement projects consistent with our philosophy and guidelines
- Ensure developmental focus for company’s biggest initiatives
- Understand the operational needs of other departments
- Work collaboratively with devs and engineers to solve complex issues
- Provide technical guidance on large-scale projects that may span multiple engineering teams
- Collaborate with, mentor, and train other engineers
- Remain up-to-date on evolving tools and patterns for managing infrastructure, guiding our implementation of them when necessary
- Serve as a resource to Ops engineering teams to encourage consistency across all efforts
- Work with a distributed team to push projects forward by providing feedback on code and architecture decisions.
We’d Love to hear from you if:
- Extensive experience working within large-scale development environments
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Experience monitoring, configuring, and provisioning servers and services in environments of that size
- Experience with system-level troubleshooting (understanding logs, strace, netstat, top/htop, iostat, etc.)
- Advanced understanding of Linux
- Extensive experience scaling large web applications with Apache, Nginx, Haproxy, and other tools
- Significant coding experience in Bash, Python, PHP, or other languages that can be demonstrated through a portfolio of code
- Experience with databases, particularly MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Experience with ElasticSearch, Logstash, Kafka, and data pipelines
- Experience with Puppet or other configuration management tools in large environments with many contributors
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business.
Our headquarters are in the heart of Atlanta in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Beltline. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.