Mailchimp is a leading marketing platform for small business. We empower millions of customers around the world to build their brands and grow their companies with a suite of marketing automation, multichannel campaign, CRM, and analytics tools.
We’re seeking a software engineer to help us build and support the email delivery platform of Mailchimp. We have a PHP codebase like no other, and our application stack includes Linux, MySQL, Postgres, Puppet, Elasticsearch, Redis, and Kafka. We use a variety of hosting services around the world in AWS as well as in Mailchimp’s own Colocation facilities.
The ideal candidate is a self-directed programmer who enjoys the trade-offs and complexities involved in implementing new features in a mature codebase. At times you’ve enjoyed reading email related RFCs, digging into email headers and trying to identify why some email message was flagged as suspicious or spam at its destination. You enjoy putting your head down and writing code, but you’re aware that your job isn’t done when that code gets deployed: you also enjoy working with support, ops, and other teams to keep applications healthy and users happy. You prefer using proven technologies to solve interesting new problems, but you’re aware that favoring older technologies doesn’t imply letting your skillset stagnate. You’ve broken production environments—and then buckled down and fixed them. You’re comfortable using git in a continuous integration environment, and you’re not afraid to dig into configuration management tools like Puppet or Chef.
What you'll do:
- Support Mailchimp’s Delivery platform, comprised of Linux, MTA software, PHP and MySQL
- Work closely with other teams working on new features and fixes surrounding the sending infrastructure
- Participate in on-call schedule being available to handle Delivery related tasks after normal business hours
- Respond to ISP outages and deliverability related trends
- Develop new and enhance existing features as well as investigate and resolve defects
- Champion internal coding standards, development processes, and design best practices
- Ensure quality by performing thorough testing and leveraging peer reviews for your work and the work of others
- Help scope, estimate, and prioritize work
- Embrace and demonstrate our values: humility, creativity, and independence
- Serve as a mentor to other team members
We'd love to hear from you if:
- 1-3 years experience in a software development environment, preferably building distributed server products and/or distributed messaging systems
- Interest in email best practices, including but not limited to DMARC/SPF/DKIM
- Have a strong desire to improve processes and code relating to email sending, system performance, and capacity planning
- Ability to work independently on projects, with minimal supervision
- Comfortable with version control software such as Git, Mercurial, CVS, etc.
- Experience using Linux in a server environment
Bonus points for:
- Experience with PowerMTA, Momentum, Postfix or other MTA software
- Experience working with email receiver and sender anti-abuse processes
- Working knowledge of redis/memcache
- General networking knowledge
- Knowledge of OpenSSL/TLS
Mailchimp is a founder-owned and highly profitable company headquartered in the heart of Atlanta. Our purpose is to empower the underdog, and our mission is to democratize cutting edge marketing technology for small business. We offer our employees an exceptional workplace, extremely competitive compensation, fully paid benefits (for employees and their families), and generous profit sharing. We hire humble, collaborative, and ambitious people, and give them endless opportunities to grow and succeed.
We love our hometown and support sustainable urban renewal. Our headquarters is in the historic Ponce City Market, right on the Atlanta Beltline. If you'd like to be considered for this position, please apply below. We look forward to meeting you!
Mailchimp is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.