Magoosh is fixing a broken test prep industry.
Why should students have to put up with exorbitant prices for boring test prep classes and books that might not even work? With Magoosh, they don’t have to. Our mission is simple: create products that give students everywhere access to enjoyable, affordable, and quality test prep. We help millions study at their own pace, on their own time regardless of location, social status, or background. Our team is driven to create the best content and study tools because we’re out to change the test prep experience for all.
Magoosh started in 2009 with four co-founders and a few computers. Today, our team is growing fast and our products are used in more than 180 countries around the world. Millions have studied with us, downloaded our apps, and watched our videos. And every day, we work with thousands of students to help them get the scores they need to get into the schools they want.
If you’re a friendly, passionate, lifelong learner who’s looking to make a real difference in students’ lives, we want you to help us level the educational playing field. We also believe it's really important that our team reflects the diversity of our students. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Check out our values here!
About the job
Magoosh has a diverse group of students from around the world who need passionate, hardworking, empathetic teachers from all backgrounds—like you—to support them on their test-prep journeys and help them reach (and hopefully exceed) their goals. As Magoosh students prepare for their exams by watching lesson videos, answering practice problems, and taking mock exams, they sometimes need personal support to fully understand concepts and maximize their progress.
As a member of the Remote Academic Help Team, you will join a team of experienced teachers who help our students master challenging math concepts, apprehend meandering verbal passages, and supercharge their study skills. Depending on your experience and interest, you will do this in one (or more!) of the following roles:
- Email support
- Live chat support
- Live skype GMAT tutoring sessions
- Live GRE webinar classes (must be available 8-9am Eastern, Sunday-Thursday)
This is a remote part-time position—you can work anywhere in the U.S. (unfortunately, we are unable to accomodate international employment at this time). You must be able to work at least 20 hours per week on a schedule determined by you and your manager. Pay rates vary based on the role and location you are working from. Your role will be determined during the application process based on your interest, abilities, and our current team needs. Pay rates for each role start at:\
- Email and chat support: $25.50-$32/hour depending on location
- GMAT tutoring: $50 per session (1 hour tutoring + 30 minutes prep) and $25.50-$32/hr for all other work
- GRE classes: $50 per class (1 hour class + 30 minutes prep) and $25.50-$32/hr for all other work
All roles offer the opportunity for advancement. Team members may also have the opportunity to change their role within the team, depending on the team’s current and projected needs. You must be authorized to work in the U.S. for this position.
In this position, you will…
- Guide students to success as they prepare for the GRE, GMAT, MCAT, LSAT, SAT, ACT, IELTS, or TOEFL.
- Support students who come from 100+ countries and all walks of life to learn and grow on their test-prep journey with academic expertise and empathy
- Encourage students to succeed and ensure that they have fun while preparing for their test
- Work on a schedule that aligns with the needs of Magoosh’s students
- Contribute to making our overall student academic support process more effective
- Future responsibilities may include other projects for Magoosh that utilize your test prep expertise and experience
- A strong test-prep instructor or tutor
- You know how to teach the nuances of the test with insights into common student misconceptions. You are able to explain foundational concepts in math, grammar, reading, science and other exam subjects through written correspondence and/or live conversation
- An inclusive educator
- You understand that students come from many educational and socioeconomic backgrounds. You are eager to teach content that equitably meets the needs of a wide range of learners.
- An effective written communicator
- You have outstanding writing skills—a grammar maven with a clear, friendly writing style
- An experienced exam taker:
- You are an expert who has scored well in one or more of the following exams: GRE, GMAT, MCAT, LSAT, ACT, SAT, IELTS or TOEFL
- A responsive team member
- You are always plugged in and very responsive online
Extra credit if you…
- Have experience teaching/tutoring IELTS, TOEFL, or EFL
- Are a science/MCAT whiz or an LSAT maven
- Are familiar with Zendesk, Slack, and Asana
- Are interested and able to work mornings, nights, and weekends on a schedule
- Have previous experience with live chat support
Note: Don’t meet all the requirements for the position? That’s okay. We encourage you to still apply.
To learn more about our hiring process, check out our blog post.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.