Magoosh is fixing a broken test prep industry.
Why should students have to put up with exorbitant prices for boring test prep classes and books that might not even work? With Magoosh, they don’t have to. Our mission is simple: create products that give students everywhere access to enjoyable, affordable, and quality test prep. We help millions study at their own pace, on their own time regardless of location, social status, or background. Our team is driven to create the best content and study tools because we’re out to change the test prep experience for all.
Magoosh started in 2009 with four co-founders and a few computers. Today, our team is growing fast and our products are used all over the world in more than 180 countries. Millions have studied with us, downloaded our apps, and watched our videos. And every day, we work with thousands of students to help them get the scores they need to get into the schools they want.
If you’re a friendly, passionate, lifelong learner who’s looking to make a real difference in students’ lives, we want you to help us level the educational playing field. We also believe it's really important that our team reflects the diversity of our students. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Check out our values here!
About the Job
We’re looking for an experienced user experience designer to help us provide affordable, effective, and enjoyable test prep to even more students across the globe. You’ll own design projects from concept to completion, translating high level goals into impactful experiences in our product, and ultimately help more students achieve their target score.
This is a full-time, in-office position based in the Magoosh office in Berkeley, CA with an annual salary of $135,500 - $166,000 depending on experience. You must be authorized to work in the US.
In this position, you will…
- Leverage your product, interaction, and visual design skills to create delightful experiences that empower our users.
- Collaborate with product on new ideas from user research, stakeholder reviews, prototypes through dev and design review all the way into production.
- Work closely with product managers to establish timelines and deliverables on a project-by-project basis.
- Operate with a mixture of creativity and data. You’re skilled at developing creative solutions and then testing them with actual users and adjusting your assumptions based on site behavior/data.
- Engage engineering to help determine a design’s overall feasibility and impact on engineering effort.
- Have 3 or more years of experience as a user experience designer on web products.
- Have owned design projects from start to finish.
- Maintain a user-centered approach while respecting business needs.
- Have the ability to think at a high level about product strategy and vision (not just “How it should look” but “What we should build”).
- Are a “full stack” designer in the sense that you are willing to help out on any of the dimensions of design: research, testing, UX, visual, css, etc. It’s ok if you’re not an expert in every specialty! We don’t expect you to know everything—we just want you to be curious enough to want to learn.
- Love talking with students to learn more about their needs.
Extra credit if you…
- Have hands-on experience in product management, copywriting, landing pages, or conversion optimization.
- Have experience designing for iOS and Android platforms.
- Have teaching experience or have worked in education.
- Have taken two or more major standardized tests and understand test-taking strategies.
- Have experience working with English language learners or learned English as a second language.
Note: Please feel comfortable applying, even if you don’t meet all the requirements for the position.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.