Magoosh is fixing a broken test prep industry.
Why should students have to put up with exorbitant prices for boring test prep classes and books that might not even work? With Magoosh, they don’t have to. Our mission is simple: create products that give students everywhere access to enjoyable, affordable, and quality test prep. We help millions study at their own pace, on their own time regardless of location, social status, or background. Our team is driven to create the best content and study tools because we’re out to change the test prep experience for all.
Magoosh started in 2009 with four co-founders and a few computers. Today, our team is growing fast and our products are used all over the world in more than 180 countries. Millions have studied with us, downloaded our apps, and watched our videos. And every day, we work with thousands of students to help them get the scores they need to get into the schools they want.
If you’re a friendly, passionate, lifelong learner who’s looking to make a real difference in students’ lives, we want you to help us level the educational playing field. We also believe it's really important that our team reflects the diversity of our students. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups and people of diverse backgrounds to apply.
Check out our values here!
About the Job
Magoosh has a diverse group of students from around the world who need passionate, hardworking, and empathetic teachers like you to support them on their GRE journeys and help them reach (and hopefully exceed) their goals. As Magoosh students prepare for their exam by watching lesson videos, answering practice problems, and taking mock exams, they sometimes need personal support to fully understand concepts and maximize their progress. As an online GRE Tutor, you will join a team of experienced tutors meeting with students in live Skype sessions to master challenging math concepts, apprehend meandering verbal passages, and supercharge their study skills.
This is a remote, part-time position (i.e., work from home). The pay starts at $32/hour for 1:1 skype tutoring and $20/hour for lesson prep and coordination of sessions, with opportunities for advancement. We ask for a minimum of 15 hours/week. This is a remote position anywhere in the US, so you must be authorized to work in the US.
In this position, you will…
- Tutor students 1:1 over Skype in the verbal, math, and writing sections of the exam, depending on student need
- Communicate with students in between sessions using Zendesk about their progress and session scheduling
- Craft lesson plans based on a student’s personal strengths and weaknesses
- Communicate student progress via written updates to the remote tutoring team and to in-house Magoosh staff
- Have 2+ years of experience as a tutor and/or teacher
- Have outstanding writing skills
- Have a top score on the GRE
- Hold a BA or BS
- Are always plugged in, very responsive online, have a reliable internet connection, and have computer with a webcam
- Can work a minimum of 15 hours/week
- Are looking to be with Magoosh for 1+ years
Extra credit if you...
- Are familiar with Zendesk, Slack, and Asana
Note: Don’t meet all the requirements for the position? That’s okay. We encourage you to still apply.
To learn more about our hiring process, check out our blog post.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.