Magic leap is seeking a Lead Materials Scientist with experience in root cause failure analysis for materials characterization and design issues. The candidate will work closely with cross-functional teams to rapidly determine the root cause of issues that are encountered in development and in the field. The candidate will also advise the team on strategies to mitigate issues and make a direct impact to cutting-edge designs. The candidate would be a critical part of Magic Leap Materials Analysis and Design laboratory.
We are looking for candidates who are motivated, creative, and dedicated team players who excel in a fast-paced environment. Candidates must be highly innovative and enjoy working in a dynamic and multidisciplinary environment.
- Conduct research into the structures and properties of materials, such as metals, alloys, polymers, and ceramics in order to obtain information that could be used to develop new products or enhance existing ones.
- Root cause analysis and failure analysis in consumer electronics
- Manage & schedule the test resources and facilities to optimize productivity and throughput.
- Establish and/or adjust the work procedures to meet testing schedules.
- Oversee the testing to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Direct and advise personnel in special test procedures as required.
- Compile and analyze test information to determine operating efficiency of processes or equipment and diagnose malfunctions.
- Prepare test protocols for use by laboratory personnel in conducting tests.
- Recommend measures to improve testing procedures and use of equipment.
- Analyze and resolve, or assist technicians in solving work problems.
- Maintain time and testing records.
- Assist in diagnosing issues for test instrumentation to provide accurate test data for engineers.
- Complete tasks to meet deadlines.
- Work closely with engineers and scientists from other fields, such as mechanical, electrical or optical engineering.
- Experience in troubleshooting and failure analysis of electronic devices. Strong background in surface science and materials; chemistry is preferred.
- Broad experience with characterization tools including SEM/ EDS, FIB, optical microscopy, XRF, 3D surface profiling, 2-D and 3-D X-ray (uCT)
- Experience with fatigue, vibration and shock, electrical stress, and environmental stress testing.
- Ability to analyze and communicate materials data in a clear, organized manner.
- Problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Capable of working on multiple tasks and projects.
- Highly detail oriented and self-motivated.
- Applicant must have good basic laboratory skills related to consistent experiment methodology and safety.
- Master’s degree in a Material science, chemical engineering or related field +4 years of related work experience or PhD degree with +2 years.
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.