We have an exciting opportunity on our Software team for a strong leader with exceptional development/research skills in the field of Computer Vision and Machine Learning. The primary responsibility of the Principal Engineer / Researcher in Computer Vision is to lead the research and development of multiple core perception components across multiple organizations spanning beyond the Computer Vision group. The candidate’s responsibilities extend to working closely with the executive team to establish the scope and schedule of the product critical projects, drive the formation of technical teams and ensure a cohesive alignment of all essential technical expertises by setting optimal communication strategies. The principal will take an active deciding role in release planning, scheduling, and assigning individual developers within their technical team. Qualified candidates will be driven self-starters, robust thinkers, strong collaborators, effective leaders and adept at operating in a highly dynamic environment. We look for colleagues that are passionate about our product and embody our values.
- Provide leadership and mentoring to the research and development team within the Computer Vision group.
- Lead the research and development effort for the eye tracking system with the goal of improving the accuracy of the eye model and gaze estimation system while preserving or enhancing the sampling rate of the eye tracker.
- Define and execute the roadmap of new features.
- Actively contribute to Magic Leap Intellectual Property and publish the research findings in peer-reviewed conferences.
- Work hand-in-hand with the key stakeholders and developers across the company using computer vision components.
- Support overall research engineering and architecture efforts of computer vision and machine learning components.
- Write maintainable, reusable code, leveraging test driven principles to develop high quality geometric vision and machine learning modules.
- Troubleshoot and resolve software defects and other technical issues.
- Act as a mentor and subject matter expert within the computer vision group and with other key stakeholders.
- Review individual developer's code in the team to ensure highest code quality in Computer Vision components.
- 10+ years of working experience in Computer Vision targeted to product development.
- Experience leading engineering teams from first concept to ship.
- Expert knowledge and strong leadership experience in Computer Vision with specialization in at least one of the following domains:
- Eye Tracking: Design and implement advanced algorithms for real-time stereoscopic eye tracking.
- Iris Recognition: Design and implement algorithms for iris recognition, especially off-axis systems.
- Face Tracking: Design and implement algorithms for recovering the 3D pose of the face.
- Sensor Calibration: Design and implement algorithms for online and offline intrinsic and extrinsic calibration of complex devices composed of several sensors, cameras, IMUs, depth sensors, and imagers.
- Visual-Inertial Odometry: Design and implement advanced algorithms for estimating the 6DOF pose of a head-mounted device by optimally fusing visual and inertial measurements collected from multiple cameras and IMUs.
- Expert level in C/C++ (programming and debugging).
- Experience working with OpenCV.
- Experience with software optimization and embedded programming is strongly preferred.
- Experience with Deep Learning is a plus.
- Knowledge of optics is a plus.
- Knowledge of parallel computing, OpenCL, CUDA, GPGPU is a plus.
- MS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering (with a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience), or Physics/Optics.
- Ph.D. is preferred (with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience).
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.