We are seeking an experienced senior systems engineer with expertise in display development. This engineer should be a self-starter with a knack for delivering efficient solutions that quickly solve the problem at hand. The main focus of this role will be to develop new lightfield architectures for our products, with emphasis on display components such as Spatial Light Modulators and viewing optics. This is a position on the influential and intensely cross-functional Systems Engineering team. Systems is a diverse organization of hardware and software engineers. The team and this role touch every aspect of Magic Leap’s product. This role reports to the Lead Systems Architect - Lightfield.
- Work cross-functionally with the Optical, Electrical, Mechanical and Embedded Engineering teams to support productization of novel lightfield systems.
- Work collaboratively with Opto-Mechanical, Factory Operations, Calibration and Program Management teams to perform research and development of display systems, including investigation of cutting-edge technology to meet high-performance design objectives.
- Duties include designing experiments; collecting, analyzing and interpreting data; technical problem solving; ideating creative solutions; and clearly communicating findings.
- Support teams and organizations across the entire company to root cause and solve hardware/software display-related issues.
- Work collaboratively with Human Vision Scientists, Product Management and Engineering teams to determine end to end requirements for display systems.
- Participate in defining and executing validation and verification methods for display systems.
- Write elegant, maintainable, reusable code to develop high quality prototype/demo/test applications and simulations.
- May design and prototype hardware components on occasion.
- Proven industry or research experience with opto-electro-mechanical systems preferably in AR/VR/MR.
- Basic understanding of the Human Visual System in the context of display systems.
- Good understanding of display interfaces and display technologies.
- Experience in performing system modeling and tradeoff analyses.
- Proficient in a high-level scripting languages like Matlab/Python etc.
- Comfortable with CAD software
- Experience with data analysis, statistics and graphing.
- Self-directed, energetic, proactive, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Confident in a highly dynamic and creative environment.
- Comfortable with Agile planning and execution.
Qualifications (Nice to have):
- Experience with Comsol, Zemax or other optical simulation tools.
- Experience with sensing technologies and algorithms like SLAM, eye-tracking, depth sensing, etc.
- Experience with calibration methods for camera or display systems.
- Good understanding of the computer graphics pipeline.
- Familiarity with requirements management processes and tools.
- B.S in Optical Engineering (or equivalent engineering degree) plus 3 years of experience or equivalent industry experience, ideally with focus on display technology. Masters or Ph.D preferred.
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.