Principal Human Vision Scientist
The Quantified Experience (QX) team consists of Human Vision Scientists whose work informs key business and engineering decisions . The QX team works closely with other departments such as Systems, Optical Engineering, Health Care, Human Factors and UX/UI teams. We are looking for a Principal Human Vision Scientist who is creative, energetic, and assertive, a team player who excels in a fast-paced, hands-on environment.
As the successful candidate, you will be involved in all stages of R&D. Using your broad vision science knowledge and experience, you will identify and address research questions with data from the literature and/or new studies. You will also use your vision science knowledge to find novel solutions to technical challenges.
QX studies are of high value to Magic Leap. In this role, you will ensure that your research activities are of high quality and executed with the highest scientific rigor and ethical standards. You have high standards for yourself and you also hold others to those exact high standards.
You understand that research in a multi-disciplinary environment with many stakeholders requires alignment between your work and the expectations of the stakeholders. You know how to set expectations for team members and stakeholders alike from the start of the research project all the way to the delivery of the results.
- Proactively identify research questions and communicate the anticipated value of addressing the questions to stakeholders.
- Lead fundamental and applied research in the areas of visual perception and visual cognition to inform product decisions and to validate the visual experience in prototypes. Take a research question from hypothesis to delivery using scientific methods.
- Be aware of the latest developments in the field of human vision science.
- Proactively review research proposals and results of other QX team members.
- Lead research activities of multi-disciplinary engineering and research teams.
- Management of research projects.
- Communicate research results and conclusions to leadership and other teams.
- Extensive experience with psychophysical and/or other psychological research methods.
- Experience managing projects and/or a research team.
- Excellent understanding of behavioral statistics.
- Profound knowledge of at least one of the following programming languages: Matlab, C/++, Python.
- Extensive experience with data analysis methods and statistical packages such as R.
- Experience with modeling (low level) human visual processes and/or modeling retinal image degradation by the optics of the human eye.
- Experience with Unity or OpenGL is a plus.
- Experience with Psychtoolbox is a plus.
- Knowledge of machine learning techniques is a plus.
- PhD and 10+ years of experience in academia or industrial R&D in the domain of human vision science and/or related field with multiple first author journal publications in one or more of the following or related research areas: stereopsis, spatial perception/cognition, color vision, visual acuity, low-level visual processing, multimodal information processing, or visual perception focused human factors research.
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.