Senior Optical Engineer
Magic Leap is an eclectic group of visionaries, rocket scientists, wizards, and gurus from the fields of film, robotics, visualization, software, computing, and user experience. We are growing quickly, and this is the time to get on board and play a role in shaping the way people will be interacting with the world tomorrow.
Join a team responsible for optical testing and characterization of Magic Leap’s current and next generation display components and subsystems. In this role as a Senior Optical Engineer, you will be joining a small, efficient engineering team and will have opportunities to provide an immediate impact through your work in image analysis. Interaction with other engineering groups around the company will be a key factor in your success. Your communication with these groups and with the Magic Leap optical team as a whole will provide you with opportunities for learning and growing in many facets of current and future Magic Leap technologies. Come help us create the hardware to enable the Magicverse!
- Design and build optical test and metrology setups for characterizing key aspects of Magic Leap’s display performance such as MTF, uniformity, contrast, brightness, efficiency, and color
- Evaluate component and subsystem test results using image processing algorithms to quantify performance versus established metrics
- Assist in automation of image capture and processing for improved efficiency and repeatability
- Contribute to development of new test metrics and test stations for prototype components and subsystems
- Collaborate with other engineering teams within Magic Leap to understand the key design parameters of their specific technology and how to properly evaluate it
- Statistical analysis of test results and test repeatability using JMP
- Analyze optical systems using ray tracing tools
- 3+ years of industry or academic experience with optical laboratory-based testing related to both imaging system metrics and radiometry
- Past experience in image processing or computer vision using Matlab, Python, and/or C++
- Past experience with ray tracing tools such as Zemax, FRED or similar
- Demonstrated critical analysis and problem-solving skills to drive toward the root cause of a troubleshooting issue
- Ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and deliver high quality results to subject matter experts from across Magic Leap
- Clear verbal and written communication skills necessary for inter-group and cross-departmental interactions
- BS degree in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related engineering field is required.
- MS degree in Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related engineering field is preferred
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.