Director, Technical Program Management - Research and Development
This Director, Technical Program Management will be directly responsible for leading a global TPM team to research, develop, design, and deliver Magic Leap’s future generation Spatial Computing devices.
- Lead a team comprised of multiple senior TPMs (3+) responsible for driving Customer Experience working groups (Lightfield, Perception, Compute, etc) to deliver future generation Spatial Computing devices.
- Drive teams with ambiguous “definition of done” and significant unknown risks.
- Define program scope, goals and deliverables; incorporate input from cross-functional team members and communicate to senior stakeholders.
- Integrate hardware, software, design (ID/UI), content, and supply chain perspectives to drive the development and delivery of a new computing platform.
- Work closely with product owners and dependent product teams in defining the vision and ensuring the team is doing the right thing for the end-user.
- Create, maintain, and drive schedule by monitoring progress, coordinating activities, and resolving problems. Implement, manage, and communicate program changes and oversee the tracking and execution of program deliverables using Smartsheets and AGILE software tools.
- Proactively identify and manage program risk; apply sound engineering problem-solving techniques and innovative mitigation plans to deliver excellence.
- Exhibit sustained energy in achieving aggressive results and high standards of performance.
- Effectively arrive at the heart of a complex problem, focus on the root cause, and implement corrective action.
- Actively assess program health, utilize technical, managerial, and leadership skills to keep program velocity on track. Understand and exercise the escalation processes both internally and externally to ensure high quality, on-time delivery.
- Lead design and change control activity, including but not limited to requirements, risk analysis, verification, and validation protocols and reports, design transfer.
- Implement metrics as required bringing visibility to product and program health.
- Lead process improvement as required to deliver the scope of work assigned.
- Facilitate design reviews according to quality requirements, ensure appropriate technical authorities are represented and design feedback is incorporated.
- Lead management of headcount and budget planning activities.
- Capture overall program resource requirements and manage resource allocation.
- Lead the recruiting, hiring, and coordination of Technical Program Management staff.
- Lead team through cycles of learning during the development process, advocate continuous improvement in product and process performance.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Planning and organizing
- Communication skills
- Influencing and leading
- Conflict management
- Stress tolerance
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in managing a comprehensive product development process and subsequent successful delivery of highly complex opto-electro-mechanical systems
- System mindset with clear understanding of component and sub-system impact to overall product experience
- Basic understanding of semiconductors, nanofabrication, and mechanical engineering concepts, processes & materials
- Advanced understanding of statistics and design of experiments
- Advanced familiarity with problem-solving concepts, such as FMEA, 5Why, 8D, DMAIC
- Ability to quickly understand complex, interdependent technical requirements
- Minimum 15 years of experience as a Technical Program Manager on a high volume consumer electronics product with an emphasis on hardware and software integration
- Experience in delivering large and complex hardware and software programs, especially in a mobile product development environment
- Minimum of 5 years Management/Supervisory experience essential
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Must be capable of leading a large team of some of the most talented and accomplished Technical Program Managers in the world
- Experience with computers software packages such as Smartsheet, Google Suite, JMP / Data Analysis, JIRA, test case managers, product requirement managers
- Experience with cloud services and software security strongly desired
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of both theoretical and practical aspects of program and project management
- Knowledge of project management techniques and tools
- Proven experience in AGILE software development methodologies
- Proven experience in people management
- Proven experience in strategic planning
- Proven experience in risk management
- Proven experience in change management
- Proficient in software program management
- Travel across offices as needed (estimated 15%)
- BA/BS in Computer Science or other Engineering discipline is required
- PMP Certification or extensive PMBOK knowledge is required
- AGILE SCRUM Certification is heavily preferred
- MBA or MS in a technical discipline is heavily preferred
Preferred Location: Miami / Fort Lauderdale, FL
All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.