Magic Leap is an eclectic group of people who share a magical vision of the future. And we’re growing. Our mission is to harmonize people and technology to create a better, more unified world. Our vision is to amplify the best parts of you and to advance the human spirit.
As a Principal Site Reliability Engineer, you will work to ensure the safe, swift, and reliable delivery of services to our customers. This role combines software and systems engineering to deliver highly scalable, distributed, fault-tolerant systems. You enjoy creating solutions to operations problems. You have a holistic knowledge of our systems and services and can re-engineer processes when they need it and then clearly communicate the necessary change. You understand how various development teams operate and can reduce their effort to deliver new services. You have the grace to stay calm when production services are down and the courage to ask for help from the right people as needed to bring them back up. You enjoy collaborating with people from other teams and disciplines to make plans a reality.
- Leads architecture decisions and provides strategic technical direction for the department
- Develops solutions to increase service stability through automation and process re-engineering
- Builds and supports tools and systems that the enterprise will use to deploy their software into production
- Participates in rotating on-call duties in a 24x7x365, team
- Updates job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art tools and techniques; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Helps development teams operationalize their efforts to enable self-ownership of production services
- Supports and develops colleagues by providing advice and coaching
- Operates independently and leads other engineers though complex projects and tasks
- Sound fundamentals in UNIX based systems including proficiency with UNIX tools like SSH, grep, sed, awk, find, etc.
- An understanding of networking and core Internet protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, BGP, IS-IS, DHCP, NAT, IPSEC, ECMP, DNS, TLS, SMTP, HTTP)
- Strong programming skills in a modern language. Go, Java, Node.js, Ruby, etc.
- Ability to script in a shell language (Bash or POSIX Shell)
- Experience with public cloud providers (AWS, Google Cloud Platform, etc.)
- Experience working with containers (Docker, Kubernetes, ECS, etc.)
- Comfort with frequent, incremental code testing and deployment
- Strong grasp of automation tools (Terraform, Jenkins, Concourse CI, Bitbucket Pipelines, etc.)
- Comfort with collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and take command of a recovery effort.
- Minimum of ten years experience working in a software engineering or development role
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.