Magic Leap is an eclectic group of visionaries, rocket scientists, wizards, and gurus from the fields of film, robotics, visualization, software, computing, and user experience. We are growing quickly, and this is the time to get on board and play a role in shaping the way people will be interacting with the world tomorrow.
Magic Leap is seeking a Principal level Generalist to work with the IPL group. The Imagination Propulsion Laboratory has been formed to be a small group of experienced and visionary thinkers that will envision (conceive, simulate, proof, moonshot) mid to far future spatial computing scenarios.
- Advance the state of real-time rendered, spatial and reactive experiences.
- To achieve a high quality bar and always push for high visual fidelity.
- Ensures all products are performant and works with engineers to improve performance where necessary.
- Standardize and create pipelines for managing all assets including materials, shaders, LODs, code, blueprints, etc.
- Work with engineers to scope technical requirements.
- Engage in proofing new ideas, and building of prototypes.
- Responsible for the creation of FX elements, particle systems, layered and transparent effects, etc..
- Identify and fix bugs as required.
- Work with external vendors on content creation.
- Lead relationships with external vendors by interfacing with their content teams and supporting them when necessary
- Work with external vendors to absorb key features of their work into internal workflows where applicable.
- Help create a working pipeline for creating visualizations, simulations and working proofs to define the magicverse/ spatial computing platform.
- Should be able to independently create a realtime interactive proof.
Required Skills / Experience
- 10+ years experience as a technical artist - or equivalent capacity - in interactive and/ or game development. Strong art skills and able to competently modeling, texture, animate, & light for interactive experiences. Lead and Principal level experience.
- Maya: in-depth knowledge, experience with the API (Python or C++), strong scripting skills in Python/PyMel.
- Unreal/ Unity: extensive experience working with scripting and workflows, rendering, materials & real-time lighting in one or both packages listed.
- Shaders: in-depth knowledge of real-time shader implementations, limitations of shaders in VR/ MR.
- Materials: experienced in the development, authoring & organization of efficient materials via the Unreal/ Unity material editor
- A portfolio / reel submission - Please include what part or portion of the work you did in regards to larger projects.
- Be able to lead projects by interfacing with engineers, other generalists and external vendor developers
Desired Skills / Experience
- Passion for mixed reality and spatial computing platforms, experience or interest in VR and AR production / pipeline experience
- Experienced in profiling & diagnosing performance issues
- Experienced in texturing tools and procedural texturing (Substance Designer / Painter, Zbrush, Mudbox, Houdini, Mari)
- Working knowledge of C# and C++
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Human Computer Interaction, Design, or a related field experience.
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.