Magic Leap is an eclectic group of people who share a magical vision of the future. And we’re growing.
Our mission is to harmonize people and technology to create a better, more unified world. Our vision is to amplify the best parts of you and to advance the human spirit.
We have an exciting opportunity on our Software team for a strong leader with exceptional development/research skills in the field of Computer Vision and Machine Learning. The primary responsibility of the Principal Engineer / Researcher in Computer Vision is to lead the research and development of multiple core perception components across multiple organizations spanning beyond the Computer Vision group. The candidate’s responsibilities extend to working closely with the executive team to establish the scope and schedule of the product critical projects, drive the formation of technical teams and ensure a cohesive alignment of all essential technical expertise by settings optimal communication strategies. The principal researcher/engineer must come with a world recognized expertise in at least one of the following core technical areas of geometric vision and machine learning: sensor calibration (cameras, IMUs, displays), visual inertial odometry, dense environment mapping, eye tracking, 3D scene understanding. The principal will take an active deciding role in release planning, scheduling, and assigning individual developers within their technical team. Qualified candidates will be driven self-starters, robust thinkers, strong collaborators, effective leaders and adept at operating in a highly dynamic environment. We look for colleagues that are passionate about our product and embody our values.
- Provide leadership and mentoring to the research and development team within the Computer Vision group.
- Lead the research and development effort of advanced product-critical computer vision components covering key product critical perception features such as head pose tracking, eye tracking, environment mapping, sensor calibration.
- Define and execute the roadmap of new features.
- Actively contribute to Magic Leap Intellectual Property and publish the research findings in peer-reviewed conferences.
- Work hand-in-hand with the key stakeholders and developers across the company using computer vision components.
- Support overall research engineering and architecture efforts of computer vision and machine learning components.
- Write maintainable, reusable code, leveraging test driven principles to develop high quality geometric vision and machine learning modules.
- Troubleshoot and resolve software defects and other technical issues.
- Act as a mentor and subject matter expert within the computer vision group and with other key stakeholders.
- Review individual developer's code in the team to ensure highest code quality in Computer Vision components.
- 10+ years of working experience in Computer Vision targeted to product development.
- Experience leading engineering teams from first concept to ship.
- World recognized expert knowledge and strong leadership experience in Computer Vision with extensive publication record and specialization in at least one of the following domains:
- Sensor Calibration: Design and implement algorithms for online and offline intrinsic and extrinsic calibration of complex devices composed of several sensors, cameras, IMUs, depth sensors, and imagers. Collaborate with other engineers on the design and deployment of fully automatic robotics-aided calibration processes targeted for factory production.
- Visual-Inertial Odometry: Design and implement advanced algorithms for estimating the 6DOF pose of a head-mounted device by optimally fusing visual and inertial measurements collected from multiple cameras and IMUs.
- Large scale mapping: Design and implement advanced algorithms for large scale mapping to extend computer vision spaces to large areas.
- Dense Environment Mapping: Design and implement advanced algorithms for reconstructing dense 3D models of large-scale indoor environments using depth sensors.
- Scene Understanding and Semantics: Design and implement segmentation algorithms based on depth, motion or texture data. Build algorithms to understand the environment and add semantic meaning on real-world objects.
- Eye Tracking: Design and implement advanced algorithms for real-time stereoscopic eye vergence tracking.
- Computer vision algorithms on cloud: Research, architect, and implement high-performance computer vision software in the cloud with state-of-the-art capabilities.
- Expert level in C/C++ (programming and debugging).
- Experience working with OpenCV.
- Experience in Deep Learning is strongly preferred with knowledge of at least one of TensorFlow, PyTorch, or Caffe.
- Knowledge of parallel computing, OpenCL, CUDA, GPGPU is a plus.
- Knowledge software optimization and embedded programming is a plus.
- MS in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering (with a minimum of 12 years of relevant experience).
- Ph.D. is preferred (with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience).
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.