ML is seeking a Principal Opto-Mechanical Engineer with a minimum of seven years of experience in the precision optics or metrology industries in designing, fabricating, aligning, testing, and commissioning high accuracy optical systems. The successful candidate will become a senior member of the ML optical test and metrology team developing state of the art imaging systems, telescopes, and metrology tools. The candidate must have significant experience in leading a mechanical design team through the development of high accuracy optical systems from the conceptual design phase through integration and test. This is an outstanding opportunity to join a highly motivated, growing and successful young company offering excellent compensation and benefits, as well as an exceptional work environment.
- Gather and assimilate system specifications into system models
- Understand and work with customer mechanical requirements to optimize them and create flow-down requirements for ML mechanical designers
- Work with a design team to research and develop new concepts and ideas that can be developed to meet program requirements
- Generate component, subsystem and system solid models
- Anticipate the long-term needs, opportunities, and threats to a project; take appropriate action
- Optimize mechanical and optical performance of systems through iterative design processes including FEA, and thermal analysis.
- Create and maintain a top down and bottoms up mechanical tolerance budgets
- Work with a design team to create full GD&T drawing packages and detailed assembly plans
- Build and maintain professional, constructive working relationships with other departments and with suppliers
- Create CMM inspection programs for incoming inspection
- Create mechanical task plans, and work with program managers to achieve program goals
- Provide practical, hands-on skills in working with engineers and technicians in a lab environment
- Design, assembly, alignment, measurement, testing, analysis, and troubleshooting of optical, illumination, fiber optic, and laser delivery devices
- Experience designing in 3D CAD packages such as Solidworks or Creo
- Familiarity with optical design software such as Zemax, Code V, Oslo, Fred, etc.
- Knowledge of lens and optical material mounts
- Knowledge of GD&T
- Experience in producing typical report packages, such as CoDR, PDR, CDR
- Analytical experience with MATLAB a plus
- Experience with advance optical tools such as Zeiss CMM, Trioptics ATS-200, Zygo interferometers, JA Woollam ellipsometer a plus
- Excellent communication skills to effectively relay information and ideas to peers, sr. management, customers, and vendors
- Responsible for a least 10 unique, non-trivial mechanical system designs. This should include:
- athermailzed systems
- precision dimensions (1-2 um linear, 1 mRad flatness and parallelisms)
- multiple material systems (metals, plastics, composites, etc)
- automation stage assembly
- metal castings, plastic moldings, additive manufacturing
- design optimization for manufacture with FEA modeling experience a plus
- Experience designing, building and using measurement to tolerant equipment for verification of final mechanical assembly design and fixtures
- MS Degree with 10 years or PhD with 7 years experience in a respected field
All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.