Responsible for researching, planning, and designing electromechanical products and systems; Directs and coordinates activities involved in design, fabrication, operation, application, testing, and production; Performs advanced engineering work, directing junior-level engineers and assisting senior-level engineers on major projects; Applies engineering principles developing, testing and modifying designs; Responsible for planning, establishing budgets, coordinating and directing production, operations, testing, quality assurance (QA), assessing vendors, and equipment; Prepares plans of work flow and analyze production costs and estimating labor costs.
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage projects as a hands-on employee using technical and administrative skills to oversee and complete engineering projects. Prototypes mechanical (Opto-Mechanical) components and assemblies, which support interdisciplinary (electrical, software, controls, optics, etc.) projects.
- Closely interacts with ID, human factors, electronics, machine vision, optical, mechanical, content, and software organizations to derive, validate, and subsequently verify system performance
- Proficient in developing unique concepts and designs for fixtures, calibration equipment, or production components using 3D CAD (ie CREO, Solidworks). The designs should support high volume manufacturing and meet all of the product requirements.
- Design, direct and coordinate the fabrication and installation of calibration apparatus and equipment. Develops methods and procedures for testing products or systems to ensure products and systems conform to engineering and customer specifications.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams from design conception through verification testing of the system, ensuring designs are global, scalable, and reliable.
- Research, assess and validate the capabilities of the various equipment, technology choices or systems that are to be used in the product development process meet the product requirements. Develops trade matrices to assist in the down selection process.
- Assist in all facets of the regulatory approvals process, including participating in component and system level design reviews, test plan preparation, issue troubleshooting/mitigation.
- Design, execute and manage tests to collect statistically significant data to ensure technical specifications and product requirements are met.
- Proficient in using computer-based data acquisition and processing; as well as a working knowledge of statistics for data characterization and hypothesis testing is required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence; Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations; Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals; Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial level reports, and legal documents.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations; Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables; Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems; Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; eight years related experience and/or training; or Masters and 6+ years’ experience; or Ph.D. and 4+ years’ experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.