Responsible for technical contribution on product development projects of very high difficulty. Directs and coordinates activities involved in the design, fabrication, operation, application, testing, and production. Performs highly advanced engineering work and directs junior and senior-level engineers on major projects. Applies complex engineering principles developing, testing and modifying designs. Works with discipline-specific development teams to identify technical requirements, scope, features, and risks. Translates customer and regulatory requirements into technical product requirements.
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manages projects as a hands-on employee using technical and administrative skills to oversee and complete engineering projects. Prototypes mechanical (or opto-mech) components, assemblies, and systems, which support interdisciplinary (electrical, software, controls, optics, etc.) projects
- Expert in developing unique concepts/designs for fixtures, calibration equipment, or production components using 3D CAD (ie Solidworks). The designs should support high volume manufacturing and meet all of the product requirements
- Assists in all facets of the regulatory approvals process, including system design reviews, test plan creation, and execution, troubleshooting, issue mitigation (DMAIC process)
- Provides technical leadership to the development team distributed globally at various design centers; Leads, advocates and enforces best practices in design, development, and testing to support high volume consumer products
- Chairs / Co-chairs technical design reviews representing the designs and its risks
- Develops unique, novel, and innovative solutions to technical challenges with the implementation of new product concepts; Documents and submits invention disclosures to protect Magic Leap intellectual property
- Designs executes and leads team to collect statistically significant data on engineered systems to ensure technical specifications and product requirements are met
- Proficient in using computer-based data acquisition and processing; Has a working knowledge of statistics for data characterization
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence; Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations; Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals; Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial level reports, and legal documents
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations; Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis; Ability to comprehend and apply principles of advanced calculus, modern; algebra, and advanced statistical theory; Ability to work with concepts such as limits, rings, quadratic and differential equations, and proofs of theorems
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables; Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems; Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables
- Bachelor’s degree and 12+ years’ experience; or Masters and 8+ years’ experience; or Ph.D. and 6+ years’ experience (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.