Magic Leap is seeking a Mechanical Engineer to design precision-engineered production hardware. The person in this position will be expected to perform as an individual contributor on an interdisciplinary product team through development, design, measurement and assembly. Candidates must be highly innovative and enjoy working in a dynamic and creative environment.
The mechanical engineering team works closely with electrical, optical, systems, industrial design, and manufacturing teams to design quality, high-volume, consumer products. We are looking for candidates who are creative, energetic team players who excel in a fast-paced, hands-on environment.
- Manage projects as a hands-on employee using technical and administrative skills to oversee and complete engineering projects
- Prototypes mechanical / opto-mechanical components and assemblies which support interdisciplinary (electrical, software, controls, optics, etc.) projects
- Proficient in developing unique concepts and designs for fixtures, calibration equipment, or production components using 3D CAD (i.e. SolidWorks)
- The designs should support high volume manufacturing and meet all of the product requirements
- Design, direct and coordinate the fabrication and installation of calibration apparatus and equipment
- Develop methods and procedures for testing products or systems to ensure products and systems conform to engineering and customer specifications
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary teams from design conception through verification testing of the system, ensuring designs are global, scalable, and reliable
- Research, assess and validates the capabilities of equipment, technology choices or systems that are to be used in the product development process meet the product requirements
- Develop trade matrices to assist in the down selection process
- Assist in all facets of the regulatory approvals process, including participating in component and system level design reviews, test plan preparation, issue troubleshooting / mitigation
- Design, execute, and manage tests to collect statistically significant data to ensure technical specifications and product requirements are met
- Proficient in using computer-based data acquisition and processing
- A working knowledge of statistics for data characterization and hypothesis testing is required
- 6+ years of mechanical engineering design of consumer products
- Expert knowledge of high-volume production fabrication methods used in high-tech consumer products including plastics injection mold tooling and die-casting
- Expert knowledge of SolidWorks, FMEA, tolerance analysis, and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GDT)
- Detailed knowledge of direct machining methods for prototyping
- Demonstrated hands-on experience building and testing prototype systems in a team environment
- Must be confident in a highly dynamic and creative environment
- 10% travel domestically or internationally
- BS in Mechanical Engineering is required. MS or PhD is preferred
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.