Magic Leap Studios seeks a Technical Director to lead the day to day management of our Engineering and Technology teams in the development of immersive content. This person will establish and implement the technical vision and ensure that it is carried out over present and future projects, tools and development methodologies. You will be accountable for the continued improvement of our technology, and charged with pushing the Studio forward into new and cutting-edge areas.
Candidates should have a minimum of 15+ years in development and have shipped multiple games in a Director or Lead Engineer role. This position requires expert knowledge of the entire game development ecosystem, from engine to implementation, tools, and pipelines. You will collaborate with other Studios leadership to establish and refine a vision, then dive in directly with your teams to implement. You will have the opportunity to work with an experienced team of industry veterans who are working hard to create something amazing and world-changing.
This individual is passionate about spatial computing’s role in the future of computing, and is ready and eager for the challenges involved in creating world-class experiences that fulfill the potential of Magic Leap’s groundbreaking technology.
- Establish direction and own the technical roadmap for Studios in conjunction with Creative, Production & Executive stakeholders
- Guide the technical staffing & development of multiple projects and pipelines balanced against the bigger picture
- Work closely with other Studios’ senior leadership to define requirements
- Stay current on cutting-edge research & technologies, recommend new tools & techniques
- Mentor the technical team to nurture growth and advancement
- Lead and rally your team, mediate conflict and drive for excellence
- Maintain the technical edge for the Studio and advocate for continued improvement in collaboration with the Software, SDK, Ecosystem and other teams across Magic Leap
- Actively participate in building a world-class technical team
- Establish and enforce best practices in architecture, coding style, code reviews, etc.
- Drive relationships with technical vendors and partners
- Stay close to the tech by writing code to validate new platform features and explore ideas
- Assist project teams at critical points in production with hands-on support and optimization
- 15+ years of experience in development of interactive software projects
- Multiple projects shipped in a Director/Lead Engineer role
- Experience building and leading teams & managing other managers
- Familiar with multiple 3D engines (Unity, Unreal, proprietary, etc...)
- Working knowledge of 3D art production pipelines & infrastructure
- Experience shipping with cloud and networked services
- Expert knowledge of interactive software production processes, timelines, tools and methodologies
- Familiar with Agile / Scrum development framework
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral
- Experience with JIRA or similar tools
- Experience bridging the physical and digital worlds via sensors, networking and other related technologies a plus
- Pro-active and hands-on; you still write code and see that as critical to successful technical oversight
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or similar, or relevant industry experience