Magic Leap is an eclectic group of visionaries, rocket scientists, wizards, and gurus from the fields of film, robotics, visualization, software, computing, games and user experience. We are growing quickly, and this is the time to get on board and play a role in shaping the way people will be interacting with the world tomorrow.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer team works closely with electrical, optical, systems, industrial design, and manufacturing teams to design quality, high-volume, consumer product. We are looking for candidates who are creative, energetic team players who excel in a fast-paced, hands-on environment.
The candidate in this position would be expected to perform as an individual contributor on an interdisciplinary product team through development, design, measurement, and assembly. Candidates must be highly innovative and enjoy working in a dynamic and creative environment.
- Manages thermal projects as a hands-on employee using technical and administrative skills to oversee and complete engineering projects. Prototypes mechanical / opto-mechanical thermal components and assemblies which support interdisciplinary (electrical, software, controls, optics, etc.) projects.
- Designs thermal hardware architecture solutions for high-end compact electronics packages, incorporating best engineering principles, practices and guidelines.
- Proficient in developing unique thermo-mechanical concepts and designs for production components using 3D CAD (i.e. SolidWorks). The designs should support high volume manufacturing and meet all of the product requirements.
- Provide mechanical design support for packaging of compact cooling systems, including air movers, heat sink, gap material, EMI & shielding, and tolerance/margin analysis.
- Design, direct and coordinate fabrication and installation of calibration apparatus and equipment. Develops methods and procedures for testing products or systems to ensure products and systems conform to engineering and customer specifications.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary teams from design conception through verification testing of the system, ensuring designs are global, scalable, and reliable.
- Research, assess and validates the capabilities of the equipment, technology choices or systems that are to be used in the product development process meet the product requirements. Develops trade matrices to assist in the down selection process.
- Assists in all facets of the regulatory approvals process, including participating in component and system level design reviews, test plan preparation, issue troubleshooting/mitigation.
- Designs, executes, and manages tests to collect statistically significant data to ensure technical specifications and product requirements are met.
- Proficient in using computer-based data acquisition and processing; A working knowledge of statistics for data characterization and hypothesis testing is required.
- Strong thermal design background, electromechanical development & system product design processes
- Expert knowledge of high-volume production fabrication methods used in high-tech consumer products including plastics injection mold tooling and die-casting
- Expert knowledge of SolidWorks, FMEA, tolerance analysis, and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GDT)
- Detailed knowledge of direct machining methods for prototyping
- Demonstrated hands-on experience building and testing prototype systems in a team environment
- Must be confident in a highly dynamic and creative environment
- Mid-level career experience
- B.S.M.E., M.S. in Mechanical Engineering or MBA is preferred.
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.