The Systems Engineering department is searching for an interdisciplinary Senior Systems Engineer to join the core team responsible for the architecting the current and future mixed reality products. The ideal candidate is a highly interdisciplinary hands-on engineer focused on rapidly implementing new analysis methods to tie complex hardware/software/content systems together, deriving requirements, articulating interfaces, and working with discipline experts to architect Magic Leap’s complex mixed reality consumer products.
- Derive and articulate architectures, interfaces, and requirements for mixed reality products.
- Articulate then drive trade-off analysis between competing system components.
- Understand first principles of novel technologies, analyse applicability to mixed reality and articulate game-changing architectures that are enabled by these technologies.
- Perform first order error propagation or sensitivity analysis within complex interconnected systems.
- Derive overall design and engineering requirements for product from prototype systems.
- Extend existing prototype and production systems to enhance feature set, empirically quantify performance, and empirically test viability of concepts.
- Work within the systems engineering team to support organization-wide requirements elicitation, management, translation between disciplines and customers, and documentation.
- Collaborate across disciplines to design validation and verification tests of the system requirements, and carry out these tests to reach written conclusions.
- Closely interact with human factors, electronics, machine vision, optical, mechanical, content, and software organizations to derive, validate, and subsequently verify system features and performance through system tests.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills
- Ideal candidates have the cross functional skill set of the roboticist (mechanical, electrical, software, algorithms, sensors, controls, mathematics, trade offs, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to quickly grasp first principles in new disciplines (hardware or software) and ability to block-diagram out the underlying architecture and interfaces (to aid co-optimization and communication between coupled sub-systems).
- Demonstrated proficiency communicating complex, often novel concepts in graphical form (drawings, graphs, block diagrams, timing diagrams, flow charts, etc.)
- Ability to comfortably operate in the current product regime (i.e. large scale manufacturing, testing, verification, integration, etc.) as well as the research regime to aid future products development (i.e. requirements, architecture, trade studies, first principles analysis etc.)
- Proficient in mathematical modelling/analysis (mechanical, electrical, optical systems, etc.)
- Proficient in analysis packages (MATLAB, Python, R, LabVIEW, etc.)
- A working knowledge of statistics for data analysis and hypothesis testing
- Familiarity with measurement systems (computer vision, cameras, photogrammetry, neural/deep networks)
- Demonstrated competency in complex-system integration
- Familiarity with software development processes
- 3 or more years of work experience
- Formal training in control systems and control theory
- Fundamental understanding of mathematical optimization techniques
- M.S. in electrical engineer, physics or related field, Ph.D. a plus
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.