Mach49 is the Growth Incubator for Global Businesses.
We are 100% focused on execution helping companies Disrupting InsideOut™ and Disrupting OutsideIn™ to drive meaningful, sustainable growth for their companies, their people, their communities and the world. Together with our clients we….
- Launch Ventures leveraging the client’s talent, customers, assets, core competencies to ideate, incubate, accelerate and scale disruptive new ventures
- Build Incubators that develop client team capability (not dependency) and enable our customers to drive growth for years to come (without us)
- Do Corporate Venture Investing and Partnering with the discipline embraced by top-tier Venture Capitalists
- Bring the Silicon Valley Inside building an internal ecosystem equipped to seize the Mothership advantage and beat the startups at their own game.
If you are a passionate, curious, motivated, qualitative research professional, we want to talk to you. Mach49 seeks a Senior Customer Experience (CX) Researcher to lead teams through the customer centered research process throughout the venture journey.
As a Senior CX Researcher, you will enable client teams to learn deeply about their customers, uncover customer pain, motivations, desires, and vet early ideas through group facilitation and direct research. Our typical research process involves open-ended interviews, storyboards and prototypes, as well as custom research to validate / invalidate hypotheses and better understand risks. This includes:
- Working with client teams to leverage the Mach49 user research methodology throughout the venture building journey
- Coaching teams on tactics and best practices for conducting effective user research
- Developing research and testing strategies and logistics for entrepreneurial teams by assisting in the creation of interview scripts, storyboards, and prototypes
- Working with other researchers to devise custom research strategies
- Leading research synthesis and translating observations into findings
- Partnering with designers on the creation of design artifacts in various degrees of fidelity
- Providing thought leadership on Mach49 research methodologies such as piloting new tactics, where appropriate, for incorporation into the Mach49 user research toolkit
- Collaborating with client teams to find creative ways to recruit relevant research participants
Mach49 is a unique company; as business co-founders with our clients, we are neither like a consulting firm, nor like working at an in-house company. To be successful, we have found the following characteristics to be beneficial:
- Interest in a wide variety of global business topics, with a curious mind and the ability to make connections between diverse fields and industries
- Comfort within a fast-paced, collaborative environment with client teams who may be initially uncomfortable with ambiguity
- Desire and patience to mentor others (including non-researchers)
- Ability to pivot, when necessary, and skilled at knowing when to lead versus when to collaborate
- Adept at delivering high-quality research outcomes within time and budget constraints
- Willing to be flexible and work when the work is needed, sometimes at odd hours (there are lots of peaks and valleys during an incubation)
- Supportive of colleagues when they need a hand to keep projects running smoothly
- Politically savvy when working with clients with an ability to work effectively with all levels of organizations
- 3+ years of relevant work experience (those with significantly more experience will be considered for a lead or principal-level CX research position)
- Degree in human/computer interaction, behavioral economics, cognitive psychology, design, media studies, marketing, or related field
- Experience with a variety of qualitative user research methods from foundational (remote and in-person interviewing) generative (participatory design, storyboard/concept testing), and evaluative methods (usability testing, surveys)
- Demonstrated experience applying CX research methods for conceiving, validating and designing a product or service
- Clear and persuasive written and oral communication style
- Comfortable working remotely, coming into the Boston office, and traveling when necessary
- Experience with prototyping tools (Figma, InVision, Sketch, Balsamiq, etc.) is a plus
- Previous experience within a start-up company or venture building is a plus
We require background and reference checks, that new hires be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and that all associates, clients, and guests who choose to attend in-person Mach49 events provide proof of vaccination and follow local requirements and mask mandates. Working together, we can protect our global community.
Mach49 is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We’re building a diverse, inclusive, empathetic community where every one of us belongs. A place — not just a workplace — that reflects the people of all races, genders, sexual orientations, national origins, backgrounds, and perspectives who share our world.
Physical requirements include ability to communicate effectively in written and oral forms, to listen and hear and/or read on and through electronic devices for extended periods of time.
Authorization to work in the US required.