Mission For Arizona (the Arizona Democratic Party’s Coordinated Campaign) is seeking a Voter Protection Director to ensure that the fundamental right to vote is protected for all eligible voters.
We are looking for an experienced and energetic voting rights professional who will be the driving force for developing and implementing a statewide voter protection program. The Voter Protection Director will create a proactive voter protection strategy that includes expanding voter access, educating voters on changes to election laws and policies, establishing and managing a voter assistance hotline, and utilizing organizing techniques to recruit and train volunteers to accomplish programmatic goals.
The VPD will work across the state to build a volunteer legal team, identify voter protection and voter accessibility issues and identify strategies for implementing desired changes. The director will establish and lead the poll watching, hotline and boiler room programs during primary and general elections in 2022 while providing training for staff, volunteers and activists. The VPD will be responsible for building and sustaining political and strategic relationships as well as serve as a statewide resource and point person for legal, legislative and strategic action against acts of voter suppression, intimidation or other efforts aimed at disenfranchising voters.
- Develop proactive strategies to expand access to voting, including through legislative tracking and advocacy, administrative action, and working with county and state election officials on election policies and reforms
- Serve as a resource on voting rights as well as troubleshoot voting related issues
- Engage with stakeholders at the local, state, and national level on election administration matters
- Recruit, train and work with volunteers to assist with voter protection programs
- Work collaboratively with other departments, such as data, organizing and communications to accomplish goals
Skills & Qualifications:
- Juris Doctorate with a solid understanding of organizing principles
- Prior voter protection experience or at least 2-4 years of experience working on campaigns or related electoral issues. Experience interpreting laws, policies and procedures is a plus
- Experience working with national, state, and local organizational stakeholders engaged in electoral strategies and programs
- Ability to work strategically, collaboratively, and creatively with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Skilled project manager with an extraordinary attention to detail. Staff management experience is a plus
- Adept at using data to inform strategy development, monitor progress to goal, and report on and analyze outcomes
- Salary: $8,000/month
- Location: Can begin remotely, eventual relocation to Phoenix, AZ
- Benefits: Eligible for UnitedHealthcare medical, dental, vision plan at no premium
- Hours: This position’s schedule will vary based on the needs of the campaign and point in the cycle and is likely to require evening and weekend work over the course of the election cycle.
- This is not a union role
The Arizona Democratic Party (ADP), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The ADP is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination of employment, promotion, compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment on the basis of gender, disability, race, age, national origin, color, creed, sexual orientation, sex (including marital and parental status), gender identity and expression, religion, economic status, ethnic identity, veteran's status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.