The Assistant Manager, Development is responsible for managing the development process of dynamic enterprise class software applications. This position will require knowledge of both legacy and emerging technologies and involvement in the full software development life cycle in an agile environment. The ADM will supervise multiple development teams’ productivity, career development, adherence to departmental policies, technical standards and company initiatives under guidance of the director of software development.
The duties listed below are the essential functions of this position, and they may change as the needs of the company demand. All associates are expected to do what is necessary to get the work done and to cooperate fully with their supervisor’s requests for additional or altered duties.
- Oversee the development and maintenance efforts of the applications delivered by the development team, in an agile SDLC environment.
- Foster a collaborative, productive environment while establishing clear expectations and ownership, making sure development team stays on track and timelines are met.
- Coach and mentor development team members including team leads, oversee training, manage performance, motivate and take corrective action in concert with the director of software development and HR.
- Maximize work output by ensuring compliance with existing departmental best practices - code and design reviews, coding, security and quality standards.
- Periodically assist the team on technical development tasks including code reviews.
- Collaborate with other teams such as DevOps, Operations, QA and Product to ensure SDLC processes are aligned to achieve optimal product development.
- Set team goals that align with the overall departmental and company goals and help the team achieve them.
- Strong leadership abilities and initiative, excellent delegator and mediator, ability to listen and take direction, ability to motivate.
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and accountability for delivering high-quality work, both personally and at a team level
- Ideal candidate has a technical background with administrative experience.
- Able to communicate effectively with both technical and business resources.
- Accounting knowledge is a plus.
- Identify opportunities for improvements in processes and tools.
- This position reports to the Director of Software Development.
- Other duties as assigned
- A minimum of 3 plus years of experience in a directly related position required;
- Completion of a Bachelors Degree is required. Strong preference for the completion of a major in IT, MIS or Computer Science ; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 5 plus years, experience in designing and developing n-tier applications.
- Experience building C#/ .Net applications.
- Some prior experience with applications written in legacy technologies (COM/C++, VB6).
- Experience on web technologies.
- Experience with SQL Server databases and database layering tools such as Microsoft Entity Framework.
- Experience with Microsoft toolset such as Visual Studio and TFS/ADS.
- Technical competence in blend of technologies from current to legacy is a plus. If lacking knowledge on a particular technology set the ability to quickly learn and influence design decisions is a must have skill.
- Leadership competencies including the ability to troubleshoot, prioritize, and drive to successful completion of projects while developing, motivating and leading a team of developers.
- Scrum Master background, can be considered partially for supervisory experience.
- Accounting knowledge is a plus.
- Must have strong written and verbal skills in English and ability to communicate effectively.
- Additionally, this position requires specialized skills using: Office suite of products.
- Ability to sit and/or stand for extended periods.
- Ability to perform work on a computer for extended periods.
- Ability to attend work per assigned schedule and attend meetings with excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Ability to bend and lift to 25 lbs.
Ability to work in the office regularly, or pivot to working at home should emergency situations arise.