Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our boring, entrenched, and slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $5 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What we’re looking for
We are looking for an experienced Director of Infrastructure with a strong technology background to lead the IT, Platform, and SRE teams at M1. You’ll report to the VP of Engineering, manage a team of technical leads and engineers, and collaborate closely with other leaders in Engineering and Product. You will have responsibility for developing and driving organizational plans and policies and oversee their execution. You will have responsibility for developing and driving our Operations strategies and policies and you will oversee the IT, Platform, and SRE teams. As we continue to expand our team, you'll utilize your demonstrated experience building and scaling operations organizations to help show us the path forward.
What you’ll do
- Identify, structure, prioritize, and lead projects or major work streams to support the M1 strategic plans and objectives
- Oversee our teams of platform and SRE engineers. Grow the team through recruiting, coaching, mentoring, and career management.
- Liaising with department heads to develop financial plans and ensure company-wide operational compliance
- Own our Infrastructure road mapping process. Guide the infrastructure management team in understanding internal customer needs, and minding business goals in order to focus our attention on the most impactful initiatives.
- Draw on a deep knowledge of operations and infrastructure management to take an active role in shaping our vision with senior leadership.
- Partner closely with engineering leadership to define, implement, and own organizational and SDLC processes.
- Be a visible and engaged leader, articulating our operational strategy, and helping rally individuals across the company around our reliability efforts.
Skills / Qualifications
- 15+ years of relevant technical experience, including 8+ years in a leadership role
- Experienced leader with a deep background in infrastructure and operations in cloud-first environments.
- Proven record of leading IT transformational initiatives in complex environments.
- Applies a business-minded, results-oriented approach to product leadership.
- Demonstrated track record managing and scaling teams within a rapidly growing company, with an established ability to hire and coach people at multiple levels.
- Proven experience as a business-focused, credible leader in a large fast-growing technology company
- Previous experience working on large cloud infrastructure in the B2C space.
- Experienced and comfortable working with finance teams to manage infrastructure, vendor, and team budgets.
- Thrives when empowered with autonomy and ownership, backed by trust and support.
- Strong ability to organize teams, processes, and operations concepts.
- Adaptable, self-starter, goal-oriented, and growth-minded.
- Excellent communicator and collaborator.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits to our actions
- Team oriented: In working together, we maintain low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud if our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according tour values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Competitive Pay and Stock Options
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- Unlimited PTO
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication with leadership
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym