Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our staid, boring, entrenched, slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $3 billion of assets, we’re currently helping more than 500,000 people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to have you read on.
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for a driven, self-motivated content specialist to join our marketing team. You'll be a key player in creating smart content that grows the business, makes people think, and delivers value to our clients.
What You'll Do
In this role, you’ll own the content you produce. You'll also:
- Brainstorm and pitch original content ideas aligned with our platform, mission, and brand values.
- Write high-quality content for different marketing channels, with an emphasis on long-form content like blog posts, newsletters, case studies, and video scripts.
- Write high-quality short-form content like surveys and social media posts.
- Keep up with current trends, dive into content/topic research, and interview experts.
- Edit, proofread, and improve existing content.
- Ensure content is on time and aligned to goals, brand standards, and regulatory standards.
- Work closely with other teams at M1, like creative, communications, social, lifecycle, and more.
- Share funny GIFs, pictures of pets, latest reads, and passions with the team. We’ll share ours too (we may even turn you into a Slack emoji).
You’re a storyteller. You love writing and understand the value of high-quality, original content. And, you know how marketing can leverage high-quality content to build an audience. You’re able to adapt your writing style when needed, and you enjoy brainstorming new ideas. You love being part of a team and you’re energized by a high-growth environment.
- You are a skilled long-form and short-form writer. You grok grammar, storytelling, and audience-driven content creation.
- You have a deep understanding of grammar and an editorial mindset. You pay attention to detail, clarity, and word choice.
- You are open to change, comfortable with deadlines, and you are constantly working to improve.
- You have a proven track record of writing high-quality content to drive traffic, engagement, and value to the reader.
- You understand or are interested in personal finance, behavioral finance, and financial wellness topics.
- You understand or are interested in topics like mental models, self-improvement, intentionality, psychology, habits, motivation, and more.
- You are a strong communicator – both written and oral.
- You are a self-starter who thrives in fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and collaborative environments.
- You have a passion for learning and love to drive improvement in yourself and others.
It doesn’t matter where you went to school, when you graduated, or what your previous title was. But the following are a huge plus:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, psychology, or a related field.
- Experience in content, journalism, communications, or copywriting.
- This is a Chicago based role.
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions.
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym