M1 is a young, rapidly growing company revolutionizing personal finance. The current tools used to invest, borrow, or spend your money are woefully undershooting what’s possible -- so we have created a new generation of investment and banking tools that will entirely reinvent how people interact with their money.
Our signature product is a beautiful, one-of-a-kind, free investing platform. People can easily create and automate their investments, borrow against a flexible portfolio line of credit, and soon, use M1 as their bank -- creating a finance experience that is totally new and incredibly exciting. There has never been an easier, more convenient, or less expensive way to control all aspects of your finances.
We manage hundreds of millions of dollars and are signing up thousands of new customers each week. But we are not done! We have ambitious plans to take on an entrenched, aging industry. Join us and help build the future of personal finance.
We are a small team of driven engineers committed to executing a clear, exciting vision. We adopt an iterative approach, believe in continuous improvement, and embrace first-principles thinking. While we value creative dissent in problem solving and eschew the idea of adopting a solution just because "it has always been done that way," we also believe in respect, support, and enabling each team members’ best contributions however we can. Everyone plays an integral part in developing our product and is empowered to make impactful decisions on features, architecture, and implementation.
As a Node Developer, you’ll work along side our team of accomplished Backend Engineers to own the full stack feature development for our critical internal applications. You’ll interface with our other teams and leadership to understand the needs of the organization, then bring those requests to reality, paying attention to quality and identifying ways to improve. You’ll also have the opportunity to grow into more backend heavy development as you learn the tools and team.
As a Node Developer on the backend team, you’ll:
- Be a product owner for a new product
- Design and build both backend and frontend changes to deliver features to our critical internal applications
- Gather requirements for feature development from stakeholders
- Implement backend REST APIs
- Implement frontend consumers of REST API services
- Ship code to production often
- Deliver valuable features to support multiple business domains
- Be responsible for designing, building, and owning a critical internal application that is used every day
- Proven ability to build applications using Node and React
- Experience using GraphQL and Flow
- Experience in Scala is a plus
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and take ownership over projects
- Ability to communicate with internal stakeholders and translate needs into product
Technologies you’ll get to learn
- Lagom/Play Framework
- AWS Services
- Event Sourcing
- Unlimited PTO & personal days
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Stock options for all employees
- Office in River North conveniently located near public transportation
This is a full-time, on-site position at our Chicago, IL headquarters (no remote). Candidates must be authorized to work in the US. Sorry, we are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
M1 will not consider candidates submitted from third party recruiting firms.