Lygos is an industrial biotechnology company developing biobased sustainable solutions to improve everyday products. Our technology platform enables better economics and unlocks the power of organic acids specialty chemicals, enabling our partners to offer sustainable alternatives to legacy petroleum-based plastics, fragrances, home and personal care products, and more.
About the Position
We are seeking a motivated Project Manager to join our growing organization. As a member of the Project Management team, you will report to the Director of Project Management and trusted to manage the full lifecycle of new products (from R&D to commercial launch) while leading project communications and providing valuable insight into anticipated challenges and proposed resolutions. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work collaboratively across organizational teams, technical and commercial, to bring newly designed products from conception to commercial delivery.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Manage the full life cycle of projects from initiation and planning through execution and close.
- Manage the project funnel via stage gate process for a product portfolio to help management team select opportunities that best aligns with Lygos’ business and strategic objectives.
- Maintain project dashboards and run team meetings to ensure ongoing alignment of efforts across projects/workstreams, and identity gaps, needs, or bottlenecks.
- Contribute to the definition, development, and institutionalization of Lygos’ project management processes, frameworks, and toolkits.
- Own project financials including budget and spending, resource allocation, new product revenue, cost and profit projections to generate value-add project reporting
- Work with Research and Process Development, Manufacturing, Operations, Business Development teams to establish appropriate scope, timeline, resources, and budget for projects.
- Identify potential issues in team dynamics or communication that may impact decision-making, leveraging emotional intelligence and problem-solving abilities to develop proactive solutions.
- Provide project coordination and communication, including participation in technical calls and meetings, development of agendas, creation of meeting minutes, tracking of action items, and scheduling of follow-up meetings.
- Track project resource allocation and spend of projects against projections to improve institutional knowledge and provide feedback for future strategic planning
- Lead all project communications and serve as key source of knowledge on the status, strategies, risks, and priorities of a project.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Ideal candidate will have a BS or higher degree in a scientific / engineering discipline or business administration.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in project management, including waterfall, agile or hybrid project management approaches
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with project management platform and software, including but not limited to, Smartsheet, MS Projects, Jira and Asana
- Experience in independently managing projects, with a comprehensive understanding of the various stages of product development.
- Ability to communicate effectively on both the technical and commercial sides of a project, comfort in navigating scientific conversations in a deeply technical environment and articulating this information to a wide range of audiences.
- Self-motivated and adaptable, a systems thinker that is excited to define and build a critical role in an expanding company.
- High emotional intelligence: experienced in navigating and resolving issues in team dynamics that may disrupt or interfere with a project schedule or outcome.
- Data-driven and outcome oriented with a focus on aligning project level strategy, timelines, and deliverables with the goals designed by leadership.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to effectively prioritize and complete high-quality projects amidst tight timelines and competing deadlines, exceptional attention to detail.
- Flexible communication style that can connect with a variety of internal and external stakeholders including technical and executive team members.
- A positive, open, and intellectually curious team player who embraces the difficulties and excitement of an entrepreneurial business.
Nice-to-haves (but not required):
- Experience in biotechnology, chemical manufacturing, or scientific industry with exposure to fermentation-based products is highly valued.
- PMP or Scrum certifications would be an asset in this role.
- Familiarity with project management system integration with ERP and business management platforms
Compensation and Benefits:
Lygos offers highly competitive salaries, stock options, bonus and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, unlimited paid time off, and 401(k).
Salary Range: $126,000 to $172,000 - Actual pay will vary based on various factors, including but not limited to location, skill, experience, and performance.
The benefits and stock purchase described above are subject to the terms and conditions of any governing plans, policies, practices, agreements, or other materials or documents as in effect from time to time, including but not limited to terms and conditions regarding eligibility.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job.
This role is remote. If the candidate is local; preference for a hybrid schedule with 2-3 days in office at the Berkeley site.
Lygos, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.