Lygos is an industrial biotechnology company developing biobased sustainable solutions to improve everyday products. Our technology platform enables better economics and unlocks the power of organic acids specialty chemicals, enabling our partners to offer sustainable alternatives to legacy petroleum-based plastics, fragrances, home and personal care products, and more. We are seeking a motivated Process Development Engineer to support and scale our growing organization.
- Design and execute lab-scale and pilot-scale experiments to develop both proof of concept and optimized processes for recovery of high-value intermediates from fermentation broth, as well as downstream conversion and isolation of end products.
- Collection and analysis of all relevant experimental data and coordination of analytical material analyses
- Generate technical reports and presentations and present to stakeholders in weekly/monthly meetings
- Responsible for preparing SOP’s for safe execution of lab-scale and pilot-scale experiments
- Support the transfer of new processes to external manufacturing partners and support process troubleshooting as needed
- Support and participate in process safety reviews
- Work collaboratively and exchange ideas/information with other groups to develop the most efficient integrated processes
Qualifications and Experience:
- BS/MS in Chemical Engineering with minimum 6+ years of industry experience or PhD with 3+ years of industry experience
- Must be hands-on and able to execute experiments safely with minimal supervision
- Experience developing new downstream processes for the recovery and purification of fermentation- derived products, and similar experience with chemical process development.
- Previous experience scaling up chemical or purification processes from lab/bench scale to pilot/manufacturing scale is preferred
- Solid fundamental knowledge of chemical engineering principles and unit operations, such as batch and continuous reactors, distillation/evaporation, crystallization, extractions, filtration, adsorption, centrifugation, chromatography, etc
- Motivated self-starter with a sense of urgency that is comfortable in a fast-paced, multitasking environment
- Superb organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills. Collaborative, analytical, and data-driven.
- The highest regard for safety, respect for people, and ethical behavior
- Ability to lift ~50lbs.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Lygos, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.