Lygos is an industrial biotechnology company developing biobased sustainable solutions to improve everyday products. Our technology platform enables better economics and unlocks the power of organic acids specialty chemicals, enabling our partners to offer sustainable alternatives to legacy petroleum-based plastics, fragrances, home and personal care products, and more. We are seeking an experienced Chemical Engineer to support and scale our growing organization.
- Responsible for scale-up and technology transfer of both chemical reactions and purification processes to our contract partners
- Drive technical vetting process of potential contract manufacturing sites
- In collaboration with internal and external teams, develop project plans and ensure adequate resources for successful execution of the project plan
- Develop conceptual process design and techno-economics analysis (TEA) for new manufacturing processes
- Closely collaborate with and influence the direction of lab-scale and pilot-scale process development experiments based on conceptual process designs and economic drivers
- Closely collaborate with biotechnology, fermentation, and analytical teams to identify and capitalize on opportunities for integrated process efficiency
- Lead relationship management and transfer of new processes to external manufacturing partners. Responsible for troubleshooting and on-site support
- Coordinate development of detailed engineering designs with engineering firms and equipment vendors for new equipment installation
- Present project status and recommendations to senior leadership and colleagues
Qualifications and Experience:
- PhD in Chemical Engineering or related discipline with minimum 5 years of industrial experience OR BS/MS in Chemical Engineering or related discipline with minimum 8 years of experience.
- Experience scaling up chemical or purification processes from lab/bench scale to pilot/manufacturing scale
- Experience with techno-economic analysis and conceptual process design of downstream processes for the recovery and purification of fermentation-derived products, and similar experience with chemical process development.
- Solid fundamental knowledge of chemical engineering principles and unit operations, such as batch and continuous reactors, distillation/evaporation, crystallization, extractions, filtration, adsorption, centrifugation, chromatography, etc
- Experience managing external parties, such as CRO’s and CMO’s, is required
- Ability to travel to CMO’s for onsite support (~20%)
- Experience with engineering design process, equipment specification, and process simulation software is a plus
- Motivated self-starter with a sense of urgency that is comfortable in a fast-paced, multitasking environment
- Superb organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills. Collaborative, analytical, and data-driven.
- The highest regard for safety, respect for people, and ethical behavior
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Lygos, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.