Lygos is an industrial biotechnology company developing biobased sustainable solutions to improve everyday products. Our technology platform enables better economics and unlocks the power of organic acids specialty chemicals, enabling our partners to offer sustainable alternatives to legacy petroleum-based plastics, fragrances, home and personal care products, and more.
About the Position
Lygos is seeking a skilled Fermentation Scientist I/II to set up, run, clean, and maintain bench-top level bioreactors (0.5L - 15L) and to develop processes and evaluate strains producing a variety of products. The successful candidate will have experience with general lab procedures, sterile technique, and data interpretation / reporting and be comfortable in a fast paced and dynamic work environment. At Lygos, a Scientist is expected to be a leader in the lab, and to be capable of working independently. Lygos offers a diverse, respectful, and supportive workplace.
Role and Responsibilities
- Execute fermentation experiments including: fermenter and media preparation, bioreactor sampling, fermenter cleaning, data entry and analysis
- Collaborate with the strain engineering team to ensure that results and conclusions are communicated clearly
- General lab work (e.g. experiment set up and takedown, pipetting, sample processing)
- Perform data analysis and engage in technical discussions including experimental planning
- Troubleshoot fermentation equipment as needed and resolve equipment issues efficiently to minimize equipment downtime
- Work collaboratively with scientists / engineers in Lygos’ other departments including molecular biology, downstream processing, and analytical
- Present results and work plans at weekly group meetings
- Work closely with all employees to support career development and facilitate the learning of new skill sets
Qualifications and Experience
- Ph.D. in chemical engineering, or related field, with >0 years in-lab fermentation experience, or equivalent experience with a Masters/Bachelors Degree
- Experience cultivating a range of microorganisms
- Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, and collaboration
- Energetic, creative, team player
- Strong organization skills and proven ability to manage details
- Strong hands-on technical abilities for maintaining and repairing basic lab equipment
- Experience in a synthetic biology / biotech startup a plus
- Experience supervising and/or managing Jr. colleagues a plus
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Lygos, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.