VP / Director of Business Development
Lygos is an industrial biotechnology company developing new technologies for the fermentative production of bio-chemicals and materials. We are working to replace expensive, environmentally hazardous, and harmful petrochemical production processes used today with safe, renewable routes using microbes.
We are looking for a dynamic, motivated individual to cultivate and execute new business partnerships within Lygos’ target markets. As the Vice President or Director of Business Development, you will be scouting new areas where Lygos’ platform and technology is ripe to be a disruptive technology, and consistently introducing that technology to prospective clients and closing funded partnership deals (JDAs, JVs, government) to accelerate commercialization.
Given your industry experience, you know the key players, keep up with emerging trends, and can leverage your strong network to create an effective market strategy and sales pipeline. You also excel at building relationships and have a proven track record of success. You’re driven by results and take a proactive approach to maximizing new and existing business opportunities. And, most importantly, you see the bigger picture: you’re excited about Lygos and eager to help us achieve our mission of producing sustainable products and enabling new brands to be established.
- Actively seek new opportunities in coordination with Lygos’s Business Development team
- Identify new markets that Lygos should enter
- Negotiate, close, and execute deals with customers in identified markets
- Speak at industry conferences about Lygos’ technology and products
- Understand contracts, needs, and drivers of existing Lygos’ partners, and develop internal strategies to maximize the value of Lygos partnerships
- Manage portfolio and customer dashboards for Lygos executives and Board
- Develop and maintain relationships with partners by facilitating information transfer between partners and proactively resolving business, technical, and contractual issues
- Coordinate onsite visits with Lygos clients and external parties
- Conduct market assessment and business cases for new markets
- Support commercial contracting and business structure negotiations
- Expand business partnerships
- Work internally with business, R&D, legal, and finance team members to ensure understanding and execution of partnership objectives
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field (Master’s degree or PhD a plus)
- Relevant business development experience, preferably in biotechnology or science-related fields
- Proven track record of pitching, negotiating, and closing high-level business opportunities (please include a deal sheet with your application if available)
- Ability to manage and expand existing partnerships
- Extensive network of contacts in relevant markets
- Knowledge about contractual terms and execution strongly preferred
- High level of motivation/persistence to succeed and achieve results
- Exceptional collaboration and relationship-building skills
- Ability to learn quickly and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Impeccable ability to organize and prioritize
- Enthusiasm about being a part of Lygos’ mission
Lygos is hiring at a number of levels across its BD team.
Lygos offers a competitive total compensation packages including an employee incentive stock option plan. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, paid holidays and vacation time.
Lygos is an equal opportunity employer.
More info on Lygos’ sustainability platform here: www.lygos.com
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Lygos may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills for this job.
Lygos, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.