At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Here at Lyft, Data is the only way we make decisions. It is the core of our business, helping us create a transportation experience for our customers and providing insights into the effectiveness of our product launch & features.
As a Data Engineer at Lyft, you will be a part of an early stage team that builds the data transport, collection, and storage, and exposes services that make data a first-class citizen at Lyft. We are looking for a Data Engineer to build a scalable data platform. You'll have ownership of our core data pipeline that powers Lyft’s top line metrics; You will also use data expertise to help evolve data models in several components of the data stack; You will help architect, building, and launching scalable data pipelines to support Lyft’s growing data processing and analytics needs. Your efforts will allow access to business and user behavior insights, using huge amounts of Lyft data to fuel several teams such as Analytics, Data Science, Marketplace and many others.
You will report to a Data Engineering Manager.
This is a Remote-Eligible Position
- Owner of the core company data pipeline, responsible for scaling up data processing flow to meet the rapid data growth at Lyft
- Evolve data model and data schema based on business and engineering needs
- Implement systems tracking data quality and consistency
- Develop tools supporting self-service data pipeline management (ETL)
- SQL and MapReduce job tuning to improve data processing performance
- Relevant professional experience
- Experience with Hadoop (or similar) Ecosystem (MapReduce, Yarn, HDFS, Hive, Spark, Presto, Pig, HBase, Parquet)
- Proficient in at least one of the SQL languages (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SqlServer, Oracle)
- Good understanding of SQL Engine and able to conduct advanced performance tuning
- Strong skills in scripting language (Python, Ruby, Bash)
- 1+ years of experience with workflow management tools (Airflow, Oozie, Azkaban, UC4)
- Comfortable working directly with data analytics to bridge Lyft's business goals with data engineering
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Until further notice, Lyft employees working in the United States and Canada in any capacity (on a daily or hybrid schedule, remote, or as a visitor) are required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and up to date against COVID-19. Fully vaccinated and up to date means an employee has: 1) received all recommended doses in a primary series of COVID-19 vaccine; and 2) either has received a booster dose or is not yet eligible to receive a booster dose but will do so when eligible. Lyft will maintain records associated with your vaccination history in a way that is compliant with all relevant Federal, state and local laws. Exceptions to this requirement are employees who require religious or medical exemption as approved through Lyft's accommodations process. New employees must provide proof of full vaccination or receive an accommodation exception approval prior to their start date.
This role is work-from-anywhere, excluding the following states and all U.S. territories: Alabama, Delaware, Iowa, Kansas, Mississippi, Oklahoma, West Virginia, Puerto Rico.