At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
As an engineer in the Privacy team, you will be a part of a highly collaborative team chartered with building products and services that protect the privacy of Lyft’s users. Our mission is to build technology and processes to ensure that Lyft collects, stores, validates usage, and provides access to data in respectful ways.
You will help design architectures, build a scalable data platform, and define policies to reduce the exposure of user data and ensure appropriate privacy and security protections are applied to our data. You will use data expertise to help evolve data models throughout the data stack. You will help architect, build, and launch platforms to enable creation of scalable data pipelines to support Lyft’s growing data processing and analytics needs in a secure and private way.
- Work collaboratively across teams to gather requirements and drive alignment on project goals
- Develop tools supporting self-service data pipeline management (ETL)
- Design, build, and maintain systems that enhance privacy across the organization
- Write well-crafted, well-tested, readable, maintainable code when needed
- Build and maintain distributed systems that attach data annotations to data sets
- Analyze, design, and create software enhancements for new data streams with a goal of developing technical solutions to mitigate privacy vulnerabilities and prevent future privacy risks
- Enhance processes and tools to help maintain data integrity and auditability
- Develop a framework for incorporating data anonymization in large data sets
- Share knowledge by giving brown bags, tech talks, and evangelizing appropriate tech and engineering best practices
- Design and develop frameworks to harden Lyft’s data infrastructure with respect to user data
- Partner with teams across Lyft on organizational privacy initiatives
Experience & Skills:
- Passion for data security and confidentiality
- 3+ years of relevant professional experience
- Proficiency in object-oriented programming languages (e.g., Python, Java, Go)
- Skills in scripting language (Python, Ruby, Bash)
- Proficiency in databases, including analytical (e.g., DynamoDB, Redis, Presto, Aurora etc.)
- Proficient in at least one of the SQL languages (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SqlServer, Oracle)
- Experience developing distributed systems
- Comfortable collaborating with backend engineering to bridge Lyft's business goals with data engineering
- Ability to learn and research new technologies rapidly, analyze systems for impact, and build scalable solutions to tackle problems
- Skilled in finding, managing, cleansing, and manipulating data
- Ability to appropriately identify and address extremes and outliers
Set Yourself Apart:
- Experience with Hadoop (or similar) Ecosystem (MapReduce, Yarn, HDFS, Hive, Spark, Presto, Pig, HBase, Parquet)
- Experience building scalable data pipelines leveraging Airflow scheduler/executor framework
- Experience with automation and creating tools for a distributed system is a plus
- Prior Privacy or Security experience a plus
- Experience in identity and access management is a plus
- Mentoring junior engineers through code reviews and project task breakdown, scoping, and sequencing
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
The work responsibilities of this role are expected to take place based on the PST Time Zone.
This role is work-from-anywhere, excluding the following states and territory: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wyoming, Puerto Rico.
For candidates living in Colorado the expected base pay range is $130,240-$151,800 and depending on a variety of non-discriminatory factors, including qualifications, experience and geographic location.
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Until further notice, Lyft employees working in the United States and Canada in any capacity (on a daily or hybrid schedule, remote, or as a visitor) are required to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated and up to date against COVID-19. Fully vaccinated and up to date means an employee has: 1) received all recommended doses in a primary series of COVID-19 vaccine; and 2) either has received a booster dose or is not yet eligible to receive a booster dose but will do so when eligible. Lyft will maintain records associated with your vaccination history in a way that is compliant with all relevant Federal, state and local laws. Exceptions to this requirement are employees who require religious or medical exemption as approved through Lyft's accommodations process. New employees must provide proof of full vaccination or receive an accommodation exception approval prior to their start date.