At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Our Rider App organization is responsible for building the best possible rider experience. It’s a fast growing organization and we are looking for engineering managers to help us scale. The Rider App teams focus on building an end to end user experience, starting from the platforms and data and ending at the client presentation layer. While building these product features, they are also focusing on building scalable platforms to speed up the future development.
As an Engineering Manager in Rider App, you’d be responsible for setting the technical direction for the team, understanding the right tradeoff between platforms and product work and communicating the strategy transparently to the teams and to the leadership. You would be working in a new, ambiguous product area and you would help to shape the product direction by working closely with cross functional partners from Product, Design and Science. You will also lead a group of talented engineers and help the team to expand rapidly given the ambitious product vision they’re building towards. If you enjoy working in an ambiguous product space and shaping vision and strategy for a new area, this is the role for you.
- Set the technical vision and strategy for a newly forming ambiguous product area
- Co-own the product strategy with the product partner and ensure a timely deliver with high quality of the engineering solutions
- Lead a team of talented engineers who like to ship code and tackle hard engineering problems
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members. Help develop their careers, and assign them to projects tailored to their skill levels, personalities, work styles, and professional goals
- Build teams that are collaborative, inclusive, and respectful of each other
- Create plans for prioritizing technical and resourcing challenges in your organization
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects and shipping things quickly
- Instill a spirit of continuous improvement in the team’s code, architecture, and processes
- Work closely with the Lyft recruiting team to hire high potential candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Own your team’s deliverables and ensure we continue to ship scalable, highly-available products that delight our passengers and drivers
- You have a technical background and are able to contribute to planning and design discussions
- You are steadfastly focused on your customers, whether they are drivers, passengers, or other Lyft employees
- You have experience leading a team of engineers and guiding them through their career development
- You believe in building both teams and products that scale
- You enjoy working in a collaborative environment, and you’re committed to driving projects to completion creatively
- You can motivate and instill a strong sense of ownership in your team
- You have experience guiding teams through planning, prioritization, and execution of work
- You think ahead and build for the future
- You are able to thrive in a heavily cross-functional environment and drive projects to completion regardless of the organizational structure
- You work well with product partners and help set the product vision for an ambiguous project
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.