Lyft’s Data Science Team builds mathematical models underpinning the platform’s core services. Compared to other technology companies of a similar size, the set of problems that we tackle is incredibly diverse. They cut across optimization, prediction, modeling, inference, transportation, and mapping. We are hiring motivated experts in each of these fields. We're looking for Masters or PhD students who are passionate about solving mathematical problems with data, and are excited about working in a fast-paced, innovative and collegial environment.
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To enable the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
We are hiring for a variety of Data Science interns, focusing on the following specialties:
Optimization: Construct and fit statistical or optimization models that facilitate automated decision making in the app.
Machine Learning: Design, build, tune, and deploy machine learning models with a special emphasis on feature engineering and deployment.
Inference: Design and analyze tests in our dynamic marketplace, estimating statistical and ML models to enable better decisions, and developing and evaluating algorithmic policies in our pricing, dispatch, and incentives systems.
You will report into a Science Manager.
- Partner with Engineers, Product Managers, and other cross-functional partners to frame problems, both mathematically and within the business context
- Perform exploratory data analysis to gain a deeper understanding of the problem
- Write production modeling code; collaborate with software engineers to implement algorithms in production
- Design and run both simulated and live traffic experiments
- Analyze experimental and observational data; communicate findings including working with partner teams and presentations; facilitate launch decisions
- Graduating with a Masters or PhD degree between December 2022 and June 2023
- Currently pursuing a Masters or PhD degree in mathematical sciences (Operations Research, Electrical Engineering/Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Theoretical Physics, Behavioral science etc.), Economics (Microeconomics Theory, Econometrics etc.), Data Engineering; or a related field
- Experience coding in Python or R, SQL; standard data science libraries (NumPy, Scikit-learn, PyTorch, TensorFlow, Keras); and ML Tools & Libraries (NumPy, SpaCy, NLTK, Scikit-learn, TensorFlow, Keras)
- Experimental design and analysis
- Exploratory data analysis
- Expertise in one of these specialties: optimization and mathematical modeling, machine learning fundamentals, or probabilistic and statistical modeling
- Bonus points: Experience in marketplace design, ridesharing, studying two-sided marketplaces, and/or transportation
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to holidays, interns receive 1 day paid time off and 3 days sick time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Until further notice, Lyft employees working in the United States in any capacity (on a daily or hybrid schedule or as a visitor) are required to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. Employees are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after completion of the entire recommended series of vaccination (usually one or two doses) with a vaccine authorized to prevent COVID-19 by the federal Food and Drug Administration (FDA), including by way of an emergency use authorization. Lyft will maintain records associated with your vaccination history in a way that is compliant with all relevant Federal, state and local laws. Exceptions to this requirement are employees who require religious or medical exemption as approved through Lyft's accommodations process.