At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
This team is focused on urban transportation and removing congestion, read more here!
Lyft’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for engineering managers to help us scale. Our engineers are smart, flexible, and love solving difficult challenges. They look to their managers for technical direction, prioritization, organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback. They move fast and ship hardware to our end users, relying on their leadership to keep the team focused, drive decision making and unblock the team, all while institutionalizing a sustainable product development process. As managers, our job is to keep teams efficient and executing on the right goals. We build teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build.
- Manage a team of Mechanical Engineer individual contributors and take responsibility for their growth and success
- Maintain a positive team dynamic and culture
- Support team level objectives as well as individual
- Drive decision making and create direction from ambiguity
- Design, operate, and maintain our development lab space
- Derive technical architecture and requirements from product requirements
- Work with Sourcing and Procurement teams to vet supply chain and production partners
- Support design decisions with engineering calculations, research, and experimentation
- Prototype: create quick experimental mock-ups and meticulous mechanical models
- Research technologies and scope development roadmap
- Develop CAD databases and drawing packages, and drive handoff to manufacturers
- Support the build/test/validate product development cycle, travel required (25%) when available
- Test failure analysis and solution validation to complete successful product development
- Lead large projects from idea to positive execution
- Effectively communicate across cross functional teams to achieve results
- Work closely with FW, EE and System leads
- BS or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related technical field, and 5+ years of related industry experience
- Proven Leadership experience as a technical people manager
- Proven experience building products for harsh environments
- Track-record for successfully shipping hardware products at both the IC and Manager level.
- Deep experience in CAD tools (SolidWorks, Catia...)
- Experience with CAD revision control/Product Lifecycle Management systems
- Strong foundation in mechanical engineering fundamentals, including solid mechanics, electromagnetics, thermodynamics, and knowledge of basic engineering materials and manufacturing processes
- Experience in performing tolerance analyses and working through DFM challenges with external vendors
- Proactive problem solving, with experience in failure analysis, root cause investigation, and DOE creation
- Working knowledge of FEA principles
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and presentation skills; experience presenting complex systems to mixed audiences (expert and novice)
- Experience building consensus across many different teams involving many different disciplines
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.