At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To create the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
This team is transforming urban transportation through Lyft’s micromobility ecosystem.
We are in search of a controls engineer to perform dynamics modeling, algorithm design, controller implementation and validation for electric powertrain and charging algorithms across the power path - from charger to battery, motor controller, motor, pedal and throttle. This person will additionally be responsible for enabling sensor transduction across our products through sensor selection, modeling, implementing and validating sensing strategies to inform action that improves characteristics like product safety and theft mitigation.
- Evaluate and inform product architectures for fit to product needs
- Outline controller requirements based on system performance requirements
- Develop controls strategies to meet system needs
- Develop dynamic models of the system, develop and tune controller algorithms accordingly to optimize performance
- Translate algorithms into software implementation, and work closely with firmware team to implement controls algorithms
- Outline sensor requirements based on system performance requirements
- Implement sensor transduction to inform action to improve characteristics like safety and theft
- Test, validate, and troubleshoot control and transduction implementations in simulation and realtime HW/FW environments
- Develop and utilize computer simulations (Matlab/Simulink, HiL, SiL) to validate existing and investigate new algorithms, modifications, or corner-case events in both simulation and in hardware
- Help specify microcontroller requirements and drive part selection
- BS, MSc or PhD in electrical, mechanical, physics or related engineering discipline
- 5+ years experience in electric powertrain controls
- Experience in simulating controllers in Python or Matlab/Simulink
- Experience with firmware implementation of controls algorithms
- Experience in empirical validation and data correlation of models and systems
- Experience with JTAG/SWD, Oscilloscope, PowerAnalyzer, Dyno and battery handling for validation and debug of controls implementation is a bonus
- Get-it-done attitude, with a focus on results
- Ability to generate and interpret simulation results and integrate recommendations into product designs
- Experience with motor controller hardware-in-the-loop testing
- Experience with motor and motor controller failure modes and detection/recovery strategies
- Hands-on experience with sensor transduction desired
- A passion for creating products that will decouple the right to mobility from car ownership and fundamentally change how people move through cities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.