Lyft’s Data Science Team builds mathematical models underpinning the platform’s core services. Compared to other technology companies of a similar size, the set of problems that we tackle is incredibly diverse. They cut across optimization, prediction, modeling, inference, transportation, and mapping. We are hiring motivated experts in each of these fields. We're looking for Masters or PhD students who are passionate about solving mathematical problems with data, and are excited about working in a fast-paced, innovative and collegial environment.
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To enable the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
As a Data Science Intern on the Algorithms: Optimization track, you will build mathematical models that facilitate automated decision making in the app and beyond. You will be solving problems that are key to building the world’s best transportation in a fast-paced, data-driven environment.
You will report into a Science Manager.
- Partner with Engineers, Product Managers, and other cross-functional partners to frame problems, both mathematically and within the business context
- Perform exploratory data analysis to gain a deeper understanding of the problem and estimate the potential impact of a solution
- Construct and fit statistical or optimization models to improve key metrics for the underlying system
- Write production modeling code; collaborate with software engineers to implement algorithms in production
- Design and run both simulated and live traffic experiments
- Analyze experimental and observational data; communicate findings including working with partner teams and presentations; facilitate launch decisions
- Currently pursuing a Masters or PhD degree in mathematical sciences (Operations Research, Electrical Engineering/Computer Science, Statistics, Control Theory, Applied Mathematics, Theoretical Physics); or a related field
- Experience coding in Python or R, SQL
- Experimental design and analysis
- Expertise in optimization and mathematical modeling
- Bonus points: Experience in marketplace design, ridesharing, and/or transportation
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to holidays, interns receive 1 day paid time off and 3 days sick time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.