Lyft’s Data Science Team builds mathematical models underpinning the platform’s core services. Compared to other technology companies of a similar size, the set of problems that we tackle is incredibly diverse. They cut across optimization, prediction, modeling, inference, transportation, and mapping. We are hiring motivated experts in each of these fields. We're looking for Masters or PhD students who are passionate about solving mathematical problems with data, and are excited about working in a fast-paced, innovative and collegial environment.
At Lyft, community is what we are and it’s what we do. It’s what makes us different. To enable the best ride for all, we start in our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization where all team members are recognized for what they bring.
As a Data Science Intern on the Algorithms: Machine Learning track, you will have the opportunity to drive meaningful impact at Lyft by designing, building, tuning, and deploying machine learning models that make our rider and driver experience reliable and enjoyable. Working alongside product managers and engineers, you will learn the ins and outs of our ecosystem of data, services, models, and products.
You will report into a Science Manager.
- Partner with Engineers, Product Managers, and other cross-functional partners to frame problems, both mathematically and within the business context
- Perform exploratory data analysis to gain a deeper understanding of the problem
- Feature engineering
- Design, implement, and test machine learning models
- Write production modeling code; collaborate with software engineers to implement your models in production
- Design and run both simulated and live traffic experiments
- Analyze experimental and observational data; communicate findings including working with partner teams and presentations; facilitate launch decisions
- Currently pursuing a Masters or PhD degree in mathematical sciences (Operations Research, Electrical Engineering/Computer Science, Statistics, Control Theory, Applied Mathematics, Theoretical Physics), Economics (Microeconomics Theory, Econometrics, Labor), Behavioral Sciences (Marketing Science, Behavioral Psychology), Machine Learning or NLP, Data Engineering; or a related field
- Experience coding in Python or R, SQL, NLP, and ML Tools & Libraries (NumPy, SpaCy, NLTK, Scikit-learn, TensorFlow, Keras)
- Experimental design and analysis
- Expertise in Machine Learning fundamentals
- Bonus points: Experience in marketplace design, ridesharing, and/or transportation
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to holidays, interns receive 1 day paid time off and 3 days sick time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.