At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
And self-driving cars are critical to that mission: they can make our streets safer, cities greener, and traffic a thing of the past. That’s why we started Level 5, our self-driving division, where we’re building a self-driving system to operate on the Lyft network.
Level 5 is looking for doers and creative problem solvers to join us in developing the leading self-driving system for ride sharing. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds and areas of expertise, and each has the opportunity to have an outsized influence on the future of our technology. Our world-class software and hardware experts work in brand new garages and labs in Palo Alto, California, and offices in London, England and Munich, Germany. And we’re moving at an incredible pace: we’re currently servicing employee rides in our test vehicles on the Lyft app. Learn more at lyft.com/level5.
At Lyft Level 5, we know that simulation is absolutely indispensable in the process of innovation and greatly reduces the risk and costs during the race towards fully autonomous vehicles. On the Simulation team, we create a virtual world in which both augmented real world data and synthetically generated data are used to help accelerate the training, prototyping and validation of autonomous vehicles. The aspiration is to model millions of situations in this virtual world and having the virtual vehicle, powered by our autonomy software stack, driven billions of miles before they got deployed to Lyft’s world class transportation network.
- Build, operate and maintain a highly-scalable software infrastructure for running the simulator on the cloud in a massively parallel fashion
- Build or integrate scenario management and visualization tools into the autonomous vehicle simulation pipeline
- Work closely with other members on the simulation team to identify bottlenecks of the simulator the team built and find solutions
- Provide the simulation as a service to other teams at Lyft’s Level5 to help develop, validate and test the software and hardware stack
- Work effectively in a diverse team of talented engineers
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent or 5+ years relevant work experience
- Experience in systems programming in C++
- Knowledge of data processing systems in batch and how RESTful APIs work at scale
- Knowledge of one or more cloud platforms, such as AWS or GCP
- Strong experience in designing, building, and working with petabyte scale distributed systems
- Strong background in object-oriented design, testability, and code reusability
- Experience with container technologies like Docker and container management systems like Kubernetes in production
- Experience with continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD)
- Thrive in a fast-paced and collaborative work environment where impact is highly visible
- Passionate about autonomous vehicle technology and its potential to improve the world
- (Nice to Have) Experience in robotics, real-time systems, embedded systems, or self-driving technologies
- (Nice to Have) Demonstrate delivery of complex projects in previous roles
- (Nice to Have) Track record of crafting well-designed solutions and delivering high-quality software on time
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- Mental health benefits
- In addition to 12 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.