At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
Lyft expands transportation access. As the pioneer in peer-to-peer transportation networks, Lyft is constantly innovating and creating the next generation of transportation with our community-powered multi-modal platform.
The Public Policy team is the voice of the Lyft community to legislators and policymakers, charged with a multi-faceted mission that includes research, education, advocacy, and community outreach. The work we do lays the legal framework and policy foundation for the future of transportation. We are looking for someone passionate about Lyft to help frame conversations across the US.
The Policy Research Analyst will leverage Lyft’s vast database and external data sources to answer important questions regarding the impact of Lyft on drivers, riders, local economies, transit systems, transportation access, environment, crime, impaired driving, and other policy-oriented topics. Reports will both influence internal company policy and articulate Lyft’s point of view to policymakers as they help shape the future of the industry.
- Conduct and publish original analysis and intuitive visualizations that support arguments for Lyft’s major policy issues
- Work closely with our Policy Development teams, including Future of Work, Future of Cities, Sustainability, and Product Policy, to provide the analytical foundation of Lyft’s policy positions
- Translate Lyft’s data into a public policy context in order to inform policy positions and outcomes
- Conduct data analyses to aid our Public Engagement and Government Relations teams in advocacy efforts
- Interact with and respond to the greater Transportation Network Company research community, including hosting researchers, reviewing/validating papers, attending conferences, and representing Lyft
- Define, write, vet and procure data for research and regulatory development:
- Design and build metrics using SQL and Python/R
- Research and respond to daily quantitative research inquiries from the Policy team and other internal stakeholders
- Provide technical assistance on shaping and evaluating metrics for policy-related pilot programs
- Cross-functional coordination with other technical teams at Lyft on projects with policy implications
- 3+ years of industry experience in a data science or analytics role
- B.S. preferably in a quantitative field such as statistics, economics, applied math, or political science. Advanced degrees preferred
- Strong interest in public policy
- End-to-end data experience including gathering, cleaning, querying, aggregation, analysis, visualization, and presentation, particularly:
- Proficiency in SQL - able to write structured and efficient queries on large data sets, bonus points for Hive/HQL experience
- Experience writing and maintaining ETL/data pipelines
- Bonus points: geospatial data experience - geojson, shapefiles, gdal, postgis, leaflet
- Experience in a scripting language like Python or R
- Relevant Python experience could include: pandas, statsmodels/scikit-learn, and matplotlib
- Relevant R experience could include: dplyr, ggplot2
- Hypothesis testing, causal inference and regression analysis
- Bonus points: Econometrics experience including difference in differences and elasticities
- Experience communicating analyses to non-technical audiences: could mean dashboards, jupyter notebooks, Excel models, slide decks, written briefs, blog posts, and/or presentations
- Great medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- In addition to 11 observed holidays, salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Monthly commuter subsidy to cover your transit to work
- 20% off all Lyft rides
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.