At Lyft, our mission is to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation. To do this, we start with our own community by creating an open, inclusive, and diverse organization.
At Lyft, we care deeply about delivering the best transportation experience for both drivers and passengers. The Networking team is responsible for all the network traffic to make the best ride possible, from our mobile app to our internal microservice architecture. This means providing the most reliable network seamlessly so that our engineers can build platforms that scale. This also means providing tooling to either make the network easy to understand or abstract the network completely.
As a Reliability Software Engineer embedded in the Networking team, you will build creative engineering solutions to operational problems. You will help operate one of the largest Envoy-baed service meshes in the industry. Your job is to eliminate operational burdens through automation. Your job will be dynamic and different day-to-day.
- Build and deploy open-source envoy to the entire fleet and create systems to make that process faster, iterative, and reliable
- Investigate how network configurations are being tuned and figure out how to set it automatically or abstract it away
- Proactively identify potential outages and build systems to triage and fix
- Be first responders to incidents and work with the rest of the team to ensure these incidents never happen again
- Figure out how to automate and reduce the operational burden on the service mesh running on Kubernetes
- Build and foster partnerships throughout the organization with a devotion to exceptional customer experience
- Never settle for the status quo, deliver operational excellence for Networking, Service Mesh and Edge
- Contribute to designing and building configuration, testing and deployment automation frameworks
- Be the first responder to incidents. Help triage, debug and pull engineers to mitigate incidents and make our systems better
Note that these skills are not requirements. Even if you do not fulfill any of these requirements, we encourage you to apply if you are interested in the work or have other relative experience.
- Experience working with and/or operating Envoy/Linkerd/Nginx or any other networking proxy
- Be able to eliminate manual operations with automation and advanced skills in automation tooling
- Experience with monitoring and logging management products such as ELK, Wavefront, SignalFx, CloudWatch, StackDriver, etc.
- Experience debugging complex problems that span over multiple systems and expertise in incident response methodologies, planning, testing, and execution
- Proficiency in high-level programming languages and scripting languages such as Golang and Python
- Strong cloud expertise (AWS, Azure, GCP, OCI)
- Familiarity with any networking discipline, such as load balancers, API gateways, DNS management, HTTP2, GRPC, etc
- Familiarity with container technology such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Hands-on experience implementing and maintaining configuration controls through infrastructure-as-code
- Great medical , dental, and vision insurance options.
- In addition to 11 observed holidays , salaried team members have unlimited paid time off, hourly team members have 15 days paid time off.
- 401(k) plan to help save for your future
- 18 weeks of paid parental leave. Biological, adoptive, and foster parents are all eligible
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Lyft Pink - Lyft team members get an exclusive opportunity to test new benefits of our Ridership Program
Lyft is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Lyft does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Lyft also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and other similar state laws and local ordinances, and its internal policy, Lyft will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.