Using living cells to treat – and sometimes even cure – cancer is one of the most dramatic advances in modern medicine. Patients with hematologic malignancies have been successfully treated with cell therapies. However, these profound results have not yet been achieved in patients with solid tumors, representing approximately 90% of all cancers. At Lyell, our goal is to change that. We are a clinical-stage T-cell reprogramming company advancing a diverse pipeline of cell therapies for solid tumors based on our innovative technologies. We were founded by cell therapy pioneers whose decades of research elevated the broader understanding of T-cell biology and its interaction with cancer. In our quest to defeat solid tumors, we have built a fully integrated company capable of discovering new technologies, translating science into therapies, manufacturing cell therapy products, and clinically evaluating them in patients. Our culture is based on Science, Respect, Collaboration, and Courage and reflects who we are, the environment we create, and our mission's urgency.
The Research Associate II works collaboratively with supervising Scientist and the broader research team to develop and perform the standard assays for their specific project. Function semi-independently to troubleshoot problems that arise within these assays and think creatively to improve upon existing protocols. Work closely with colleagues in other areas of research and can involve more complex and specialized areas of a specific project. Responsible for keeping abreast of current publications relative to methods, techniques, and developments within the area of research. Responsible for carrying out specific experiments usually confined to a single greater Research and Development aim in one technical area.
KEY ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Execute experiments independently, requires assistance in the design and analysis of experiments
- Collaborate internally with Scientists and other research associates to interrogate our novel therapies in our assays and models
- Setup and maintain a highly functioning lab; can be responsible for more in depth maintenance and function of specialized equipment
- Analyze and present experimental data to project teams
- Generate and maintain electronic lab notebook reports
- BSc in biotechnology, molecular biology, microbiology, immunology, oncology or related field with a minimum of 5 years’ experience within the area of focus; or
- MSc in biotechnology, molecular biology, microbiology, immunology, oncology or related field with a minimum of 3 years’ experience within the area of focus;
- Experience with molecular biology protocols (i.e. PCR, Western, RT-PCR, basic cloning); more complex experience a plus
- Proficient using and analyzing common immunology and oncology assays
- Experience with flow cytometry assays and analysis; experience with cell sorting a plus
- Proficient in sterile tissue culture technique and experience working with human cells
- Experience recording data in electronic notebook
- Additional specific experience related to the area of focus may be required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Learn new protocols quickly and think critically
- Plan experiments and manage own time independently
- Effectively communicate and discuss results with other scientists on the team
- Basic skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and data analysis software packages Prism, Flow Jo, Spotfire, Geneious, etc.
- Ability to work in a matrixed environment
- General comfort in learning to work with new software and automated lab equipment
Lyell offers its employees a range of compensation and benefits. To assist you with your decision to apply for this role, the following decision to apply for this role, the following information and links to our site highlight our competitive market position and support to our employees and their dependents.
The salary range for this position is $90,000 and $105,000, annually, with the opportunity to earn an annual bonus. The salary range is an estimate, and the actual salary may vary based on Lyell’s compensation practices and an applicant’s qualifications and experience. Employees are also eligible to participate in Lyell’s Equity Incentive Plan.
Our Employee Benefits program is extensive and includes subsidized medical, dental and vision plans from your first day of employment, FSA, Company provided Life and AD&D Insurance as well as STD and LTD Insurance, ESPP, a 401(k) Plan with Company match, mass transit commuter benefits, cell phone reimbursement and a range of supplemental benefits that you may choose to elect. Our paid time-off benefits currently include 18 days’ vacation, 9 day’s sick leave, 8 observed holidays as well as a floating holiday. We also have a summer and a winter office shutdown. More information on our extensive benefits offering can be found here.
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees. Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.
The Company complies with all laws respecting equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants with regard to any protected characteristic as defined by federal, state, and local law. This position requires you to work onsite at the Company’s facilities and the Company requires that all employees working in its facilities be fully vaccinated (except as required by applicable law). Therefore, this position requires you to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19, subject to reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons, and/or as otherwise required by applicable law. The Company considers you fully vaccinated once 14 days have passed since you received either the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series or a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccine must have been FDA approved, have emergency use authorization from the FDA, or, for persons fully vaccinated outside of the U.S., be listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization.”
We’ve learned from experience that some of the best people don’t always match our requirements perfectly - if you’re interested and think you could fit, please don’t hesitate to apply.