You will provide support for the company’s EH&S strategic vision, direction, and infrastructure in the South San Francisco location. This role is responsible for ensuring operational standards meet local, state, and federal compliance requirements.
KEY ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implement, maintain and improve established safety programs, related to office and laboratory environments
- Maintain and improve EH&S programs, including policies, procedures, and basic governance to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations as well as industry standard practices and expectations
- Maintain all EH&S related licenses, permits, logs, and inspection reports, including those related to building and fire codes, environmental codes, and laboratory practices
- Maintain site records including MSDS and Hazardous Waste logs
- Support safety program elements, deliver training and provide day-to-day coaching, feedback, and direction to departments or employees on relevant Safety Programs
- Manage the investigation, corrective actions, and reporting of incidents and accidents
- Analyze, audit, and inspect workplace environments (e.g. office, warehouse, laboratory, and manufacturing) to identify compliance issues, potential health and safety risks, and continuous improvement opportunities
- Perform regular checks on safety equipment, including eye wash stations, showers, and first aid consumables
- Work with leadership to facilitate risk management decisions
- Be the primary point-of-contact for company related health and safety issues and emergencies, including on-call events
- Stay current on safety related regulatory requirements (OSHA) and technical issues, and use relevant information to implement programs, achieve compliance and minimize risks.
- Coordinate response and recovery operations for emergency situations and disaster recovery
- Coordinate the development and implementation of appropriate response plans
- Review the status and evaluate the effectiveness of our safety programs and drive results in areas of needed improvements.
- Develop and present compliance tracking programs and metrics
- Interact with local and state regulatory agencies and authorities and first responders for disaster recovery events pertaining to site health and safety protocols
- BA or BSc or equivalent in EH&S Management, Engineering, Engineering Sciences, or related discipline; or
- Certified within OSHA affiliated certification programs (NEBOSH, IOSH, IRCA etc.). ASP/CSP/CIH/OHST or qualifications to be certified is a plus or to be obtained within the first 6 months of employment
- 4 - 7 years safety experience including at least 3 years site EHS support or collaboration in a pharmaceutical laboratory or manufacturing environment
- Experience working with city, county & state offices dealing with industrial and hazmat permitting functions for biotechnical operations
- Experience with laboratory and manufacturing practices in the biotechnology, life sciences, or health care industry
- Proven experience in supporting the building and implementing EH&S infrastructure, programs, and policies
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge and application of environmental health and safety regulations and familiarity with EH&S regulatory agencies’ protocols (e.g. OSHA, NIH, EPA, DEP, etc.)
- Knowledge of chemical hygiene, industrial hygiene, biological safety, and ergonomic programs with a track record and understanding of facility decontamination protocols and practices
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail and follow-through
- Demonstrated ability to execute; strong bias for action
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communications skills, including effective presentation skills and training delivery skills; ability to mentor and lead others
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees.