Lyell is looking for a Senior Software Engineer with backend and data experience to join the Information Sciences team in either our South San Francisco office or Seattle office. This person will be responsible for helping build a cloud data platform to enable Lyell with real-time data access, real-time collaboration, and making meaningful and actionable scientific insights across research, manufacturing, and clinical. We are looking for people who are passionate about data and are interested in making a difference in the world!
- Design and implement Lyell’s cloud-based Data Platform
- Define data models, and implement robust data pipelines that that push data from instruments in the lab up to the cloud, transform the data, and enable analytics and real-time dashboards
- Work collaboratively in cross-functional groups, such as software engineering, biological sciences, clinical, and manufacturing
- Python required; must have strong programming skills
- Strong, production experience with AWS services
- 5+ years of experience
- Experience with serverless technologies, such as AWS Lambda
- Implementing microservices with Docker
- Degree (B.S., M.S. or PhD) in Computer Science, Math, Physics, or biological sciences is preferred, but not required
Preferred Additional Skills:
- An interest in biological sciences
- Managing data on S3 data lakes, SQL data warehouses, or NoSQL systems
- Implementing data pipelines, real-time and batch computing, using technologies such as AWS Glue (crawlers and catalogs), AWS Athena, DynamoDB, S3, etc.
- Data modeling experience
- Experience designing and implemented backend REST services and business logic with application frameworks like Flask, FastAPI, or Django
- IoT (AWS IoT SiteWise) and streaming data (Kinesis Firehose)
- Infrastructure as Code tools such as Terraform, CloudFormation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively among cross-functional teams, with a particular understanding for and drive to solve data issues faced by research and clinical scientists.
- Ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet deadlines and balance competing priorities.
- Excellent analytical skills and scientific/technical expertise
Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.