Lyell is looking for experienced Automation Engineers to join the Information Sciences team. Automation Engineers are responsible for helping ensure high quality, reproducible data is generated at Lyell by automating and scaling complex workflows. This will be accomplished by implementing semi/fully automated processes and robotic systems for research and clinical laboratories at multiple sites.
- Promote culture of automating frequently repeated steps/workflows, driving efficiencies, and ensuring high quality, reproducible data is generated
- Collaborate with Lyell scientists to understand which steps/workflows in the lab can/should be automated, identify potential automated solutions (including robotics), and clearly propose user-friendly solutions (with short/long term cost benefit analysis)
- Identify synergies across Lyell’s multiple sites in order to help create and drive data consistency through lab and data automation
- Evaluate, select, develop, optimize, test, scale, and productionize new technologies and robotics platforms
- Identify solutions for automated lab monitoring
- Collaborate with data/software engineers on the design of software solutions for state-of-the-art automated data acquisition and integration, including sample tracking, simplified data entry, and integration of lab data with Lyell’s cloud Data Platform.
- Collaborate with software engineers and IT to integrate lab instruments with LIMS, ELN, and other laboratory software
- Continuously identify opportunities for efficiency and quality improvement
- Ensure that implemented solutions and processes are in compliance with established quality, compliance, and regulatory processes
- Work collaboratively in cross-functional groups, such as software engineering, biological sciences, data sciences, regulatory, and manufacturing
- Document processes, including automated workflows
- Production experience with high-throughput laboratory instrumentation, automation scheduling software (Green Button Go, Cellario, Genera, Momentum), and robotic liquid handling systems (Hamilton, Agilent, Tecan, Biomek, Echo, etc.)
- Experience with NGS, flow cytometry, and imaging instruments and data
- Exposure to Python, Java, or other object oriented programming languages
- A background in molecular biology or biochemistry is desired, but not required
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Experience working with and building relationships with external lab instrument/robotics/software vendors
- Experience working in a regulated environment
- Experience with software development best practices such as issue tracking and source control
- Exposure to REST or SOAP APIs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively among cross-functional teams, with a particular understanding for and drive to solve data issues faced by research and clinical scientists.
- Ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet deadlines and balance competing priorities.
- Excellent analytical skills and scientific/technical expertise.
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees. Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.