The Sustainability & Energy Specialist plays an essential role in growing talent in our business through collaboration and sharing best practices with the Sustainability team. You know how to be curious about opportunities and how to be real with feedback and support.
Lush Cosmetics has manufacturing and distribution operations in Vancouver and Toronto, where we hand make fresh bath and beauty products for 250 shops across North America. Based in Toronto, you will be the technical lead for energy, water and waste in our two manufacturing facilities and one distribution hub that service the East Coast business. You will work closely with manufacturing and facilities to understand processes and identify, prioritize, plan and execute projects and initiatives that reduce the environmental impact of our buildings and operations.
As a growing business, Lush needs people that can adapt and evolve to the needs of our business, analyse and respond to your learner’s needs. Our Lush staff live with purpose, finding their personal value connection with the values of our business, bringing their work and life paths into one holistic journey. #mylushlife
Reporting to the Sustainability Manager, the Sustainability & Energy Specialist, Manufacturing & Distribution undertakes the following RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Drive building system improvements, operational performance and process innovation in the areas of energy efficiency, water conservation and waste through a strong understanding of production practices
- Draw on your technical expertise to identify opportunities, define scope/design and build business cases to gain support and resources for sustainability projects
- Manage multiple projects from planning to execution, prioritizing tasks and coordinating with stakeholders to execute on time and budget
- Manage contractors, purchase orders, billing and government incentives
- Further expand energy audits and energy management planning, targeting energy efficiency and renewable energy opportunities
- Evaluate opportunities to improve water conservation/efficiency and water treatment/recycling
- Compile and analyze environmental and financial metrics to evaluate areas for improvement and demonstrate measurable results
- Build strong relationships with facilities and production departments to serve as a “go-to” technical expert on energy/carbon and water management
- Collaborate in the development of tools/resources to support the understanding of sustainable building practices that drive decision making and behavioural change
- Collaborate on special projects and strategy development
You bring the following QUALIFICATIONS:
- 5+ years of practical experience in energy and environmental management, preferably in manufacturing or commercial buildings
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (mechanical/environmental/process/chemical engineering, sustainable business or similar)
- Technical background in waste water treatment and building mechanical system operation, including HVAC, boiler, and refrigeration systems
- Proven experience in green building systems, industrial water and wastewater management, energy management and renewable energy
- Outstanding project management skills – strong organization, time management and ability to manage priorities & meet competing deadlines
- Experience in continuous improvement and capital project planning/budgeting
- Experience in industrial energy management, including portfolio bench-marking and analysis
- Understanding of Ontario’s environmental regulations, building codes, ASHRAE and other applicable codes and standards
- Strong communicator and relationship builder with an open mindset to get curious and learn
- Strong analytical skills –outstanding ability to tell the story through data and analytics
- Proactive and solutions oriented in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Experience in process or mechanical engineering, continuous improvement, lean manufacturing and change management
- Graduate degree or equivalent training and certifications (Certified Environmental Professional, Certified Energy Manager, P.Eng, EIT, LEED AP/Green Associate)
Thriving with a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our staff and committed to inclusion. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.